Sign in to follow this  

The most annoying sound!

When I'm riding I hear a very high pitch squeal kind of sounds like brake squeakers on your car when the pads are low. It doesn't change with speed or rpm. I can't figure out where the sound is originating from and it comes and goes. Has anybody else had this happen?

when you say "the pads are low" you mean they have worn thin?

could be the thin metal backing plate (or lack of if you removed it)

or

the piston vibrating in the brake cylinder bore

or

the caliper vibrating in the swing arm rail

or

some part of the pad/caliper rubbing the rotor (but you would think it would change with speed).

or

how far the caliper is moved over on the pins.

oh heck i think i might know what it is. up inside the caliper there is a wave spring. the pads might be rubbing on it as well.

so many possibilities but odd that it does not change with speed.

post a pic of how thin your pads are while on the bike.

That's the thing. The pads are thick and I took both calipers apart to see and everything was fine. I really don't know where the sound is coming from it just sounds like squeaker on car's brake pads. I can't even put my head down low enough to judge exactly where the sound is coming from. I can't even tell if it's coming from the front, back or middle. I can't duplicate the sound while the bike is on the stand either. It's very frustrating to say the least.

Wheel bearings are a possibility I guess but not very likely from what you are describing. How about where the mud flap on the airbox slides on the swingarm? Maybe a rock or stick is in there somewhere and squeaking when the swingarm moves. Is is more pronounced on rougher ground? For strange car noises I have had someone drive around in a circle in a parking lot while I was in the middle of the circle listening. Have gotten some strange looks but maybe you could do the same with your bike. Clay

I had a KTM that did that. The PO had worn the brake pads out down to metal and the discs were scarred. So when I put the new pads on, after they broke in, they would squeek at certain speeds. I fixed by replacing the discs.

Trials brakes seem to squeak a lot. One time my montesa was doing it, so I took the pads off, hosed the disk with brake cleaner, then I took the pads to a little medium grit sandpaper and lightly scuffed them. After that, you'll need to ride them hard for a little bit or they'll be too soft, but it seemed to stop the squeaking.

Just so we're all clear, the squeak is only happening with the brakes on, right? Not just riding around without using the brakes?

No the squeak does not happen just with brakes on. It happens with brakes on or off. Constant sound does not change with speed nor engine rpm. Make absolutely no sense at all.

So it doesn't happen on the stand....it only happens while moving.

Can you run the bike in gear on the stand and hear the noise? If not then it's likely you need the weight of teh bike to help create the sound.

Wheel bearing is the first on my list, you would think it would change as spoeed changes however, it doesn't necessarily have to.

Have you tried coasting down a large hill with the bike turned off...should help you trace the sound if it does occur.

If the sound goes away when touching the brakes lightly, then it can at least be isolated to discs/brakes.if it goes away as you slow down, then I would guess wheel bearings. Might have a collapsed ball in them, which is why it's only with a rider on them that its noticable because of the extra weight.

Take the brakes off and ride it. See if the sound goes away. lol. Seriously though maybe try removing the front brake and ride it around and see if it goes away. Then the rear. Just a thought. It would at least eliminate the brakes being the issue.

If the sound goes away when touching the brakes lightly, then it can at least be isolated to discs/brakes.if it goes away as you slow down, then I would guess wheel bearings. Might have a collapsed ball in them, which is why it's only with a rider on them that its noticable because of the extra weight.

The wheel bearing I think may be a very good possibility. I just had a friend of mine have me look at his daughters bike and it was doing the same thing. It turned out to be the cheap azz wheel bearing in a set of Pro Wheels.

Yeah it's about time to pull the bearings out for inspection and lube anyways so hopefully that it. My hearing sucks anyways so trying to isolate such a high pitch noise is extremely hard to do especially while riding

Well I found the source of the noise. I have an FMF exhaust shield and it was harmonics that was causing the noise. I loosened the clamps, moved it over a little and tightened it back down. Noise is now gone.