Sign in to follow this  

race starts

Hi all vintage racers. Need to improve my starts.Am wondering what position on the gate is preferred and why? Center,left side,right side etc..... which do you guys like and why.

Thanks

From my experience, Not near either end. Try just left of center if you're headed for a right turn 1 or just to the right of center for a left hand turn 1. Beyond that, practice your starts as far as shifting etc. after the gate drops. Warning that, at least for me, it's kind of hard on the bike with WO shifts and clutch abuse. It may add up if you need to do 100 of them to get good AND consistant at it.

(Note: I remember what a PAIN it was to get those good spots on the starting line. There was this "game" of guys (or their crews) lining up WAY too early just to claim these spots and a mad rush when the fence was opened. Want a good spot? Play the game.)

Near the center. Watch a couple of gates go before your race and count them down for timing. Stay as far back from the gate as the starter will let you so you can roll it a little. A lot of people over rev the first couple of gears because of the noise and confusion. Shift normally and use the clutch if needed. Develop a routine and repeat it every time.