Sign in to follow this  

rebuild or new 12 kx450?

I currently have an 08 kx450..if I keep it I definitely have to send the suspension for revalve and stiffer springs and I will prob also get the motor rebuilt..or should I sell it the way it is and buy a 2012? I can get a good deal on it with with the suspension set up for me and an exhaust..

well depends, your going to cop a big hit on depreciation on the 12 no matter what sort of deal you get, the 08 your going to loose money on the suspension revalve and engine rebuild, determine, A how long will you keep the 12 if you get it, and how long will you keep the 08, also keep in mind, what other things on the 08 may need replacing in that time frame? CDI? chassis bearings? brake MC rebuild/replace?

if you plan on keeping the 08 for two more year's, you'll cop a small amount on extra depreciation, the cost of the suspension, the cost of the engine rebuild, plus possibly replacing other chassis bearings, bushes and electronics.

on the 12 you will cop a big hit on depreciation, getting it set up, and the possibility of unproven engine parts (talk is the new crank's are having problems). if the cost's on the 08 end up being more then the cost's of the 12 it's an easy choice, if the 12 end's up costing more then you need to factor in the "new bike factor" if the extra money is worth having a newer bike to you then go for the 12

i'm thinking the end cost won't be as far apart as your thinking, and having a new bike is always nice.

Thank you for actually giving legitimate advice..

If I keep the 08 I will end up dropping about 1500 into it next month to get it exactly how I need it..I intend to sell it next year and buy something new then..if I buy something new I will prob ride it for 4 or 5 years..I have hear all about the crank issues with the 12s..right now my 08 runs great and the suspension is fine it just has too soft of springs for me..with a new bike I can get the correct suspension and a exhaust included in the price..no matter what my decision is I will for sure buy a new one next year..just unsure if its worth spending this money on something I will ride a year

how much times on the 08? if it isn't over 200 hours i wouldn't go all out on a full engine rebuild for a year of riding, perhaps a piston and inspection, assuming you know the history of the engine and know it's been well looked after, another thing to consider is that if the only problem your having with the 08's suspension is the springs being to soft, and you can live with the valving, then you can always buy stiffer springs and transfer them into a 12 next year (i dont see a dealer including a full revalve/setup as part of the purchase price on a 12 at this point?) even so you'll get a 12 much cheaper early next year, and bugs with the crank's/other parts should be worked out by then, may be worth just freshening up the 08 for now, then trading it in for a 12 next year.

Yeah its sitting around 80 hrs and hasn't been touched..still cranks 2nd kick cold and first kick.hot..I just intend on a top end rebuild..I have a few connections so.that's how I can swing that with a new bike..but I am considering waiting and buying a leftover 12 next year but then again I could sell my bike now and put the 1500 Into the new bike

I did the same thing last year with my '07 as your contemplating doing with your '08. It was either get the new '11 (at the time) or go do a rebuild of suspension and motor on my '07.

I decided to redo the '07 and I am glad I did. Bike had atleast 200 hours on it (maybe upwards of 250?? No hour meter) and the fork seals were leaking.

I did a complete rebuild/revalve of the suspension, pulled the motor and had a wiseco std comp piston installed. At this time I had the valves shimmed for the first time!! (Finally needed it). I didnt do the piston and valves myself because my buddy owns a motor building shop and it was done basically for free by someone whos much better than me. I framed the bike and cleaned the entire thing until it looked new again, then I cleaned/regreased or replaced any needle bearings on the machine in swingarm, linkage, and stem. I inspected the clutch and all cables, brakes, pads, etc. I replaced fluids, bled the lines, replaced the coolant,. etc.

Then for aesthetics I got new set of plastics, graphics, number plates etc, and got some dress up parts, like rad hoses, chain guide, engine plugs and a bunch of other little cheap odds and ends and make the bike look brand new again.

New plastics (for every plastic piece) $135

Suspension Rebuild/Revalve $375

Piston/Gaskets $150

Piston Install/Valve Shim $50

Graphics/# plates $65 (ebay)

New shields for handguards ($30)

Brake Pads $35

Grips $10

Tires $120

Cleaning supplies $20

Silencer packing $10

Chain/sprockets $135

Fluids $20

Dress up parts $100

Couple Bearings $40

Thats $1295.00 give or take $50 either way to have the bike running like new (actually better it starts in 1 kick even if I drop it now??) and looking better than new.

Im so glad I did it, especially because if i woulda got a '11 and than the '12s came out i woulda been PISSSED!! But now im having the same problem this year, I have a buddy that will give me $3000 for my '07 right now if i wanted to go get a '12 but im still loving my bike i cant decide whether its worth getting a new one or not.

I had an 08 that I was on the fence about selling to get a new bike also. Well, I bought a 2012 and could not be happier. I absolutely love my new bike.