Sign in to follow this  

1996 XR400R carb question

hello everyone, Im trying to help a friend overhaul his carb on his 1996 xr400r. and well, we can't seem to find a rebuild kit for his year. the only ones that we can find are for 98-04. now i know that they had a different part number on the carb but they are still basically the same. kiehin PD series 36 mm, what my question is, what exactly makes the 98-04 different and can I use the rebuild kit just for the gaskets, float needle, and others. I am assuming the only difference is the jets sizes, because i was reading that they changed some emission compliance stuff after the first couple years of the xr400 (96 & 97) any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated, you will be helping a fellow get back up and running to ride :smirk: THANKS in advance.

jake

The '96 is a PDK 1A whereas the '98 and later 49 state model is the 1C. I think you're right, they're basically the same carb, just different jetting, slide and such. You're probably safe to order the kit for just the gaskets, o-rings and such.

Cool. I wanted to make sure. I mean I could order each piece individually from like bike bandit but it would add up just for the gaskets and stuff. I wanna say Just the float valve was like 30$

OK, just incase anyone out there has this same issue I wanted to reply because I had such a hard time finding out a definative answer to my question. As far as model year '96 & '97 carburators on XR400s, you CAN use the rebuild kits sold for 98-04 XR400s, as everything in the kit with exception on the the pilot jet, main jet, & needle are the same. just wanted to let people out there know....

Mortiky, did you try the needle that came with the kit in the carb and determine it would not work or just not need it? I have that carb (96) and the markings on the needle are J60F. OEM part is $20+ more than other needles.

Does anyone know if there is a cross with another? Does the A16A fit and work well it was mentioned in another post for 98+ models?

I have a different carb to use but I wanted to start and break in my build with the stock as a base line. Besides if I sell it or keep the carb it would be nice not to do either with a bent needle.

I can't see the Jets r us site well because of their menu being in the way when I select an item so it is hard to tell what is available.

Follow up.

Sudco informed me the needle J6DF is a Honda propriatary (sp) needle and OEM is what they reccomend.

I guess I'll use the BSR42 instead for the new build.

If it helps here is the OEM part number <a href="http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-16012-KCY-670.html">16012-KCY-670 best price I found so far is $20.38.

we ended up having to use the needle that came with the 98-04 rebuild kit, and it was different, can't remember what the markings were...but somehow in the process of cleaning the carb the original needle got bent, i managed to bend it back, however i figured that the new needle would be better even though it was wrong, but better than a bent needle. it seems to work just fine. running good, havent read the plug yet or anything but seems to be ok, not sure what effect this needle should have, i know that the jetting for the 98-04 bikes was a bit leaner, not sure though of the effect of the different needle used with the richer jetting of the 96-97. but it works fine, runs good with no hiccups or anything. yeah the parts if purchased individually are rediculous that is why i was so determined to used the rebuild kit, since it was only 35$...all i needed was the bowl gasket and float valve but was worth buying the whole kit.....

GENTLEMEN ! i have recently bought a xr400 97 mdl and i am also overhauling the carb so from what i have read you can use a post 98 yr mdl kit accept the needle is this right help will be much appreciated im also going to do a top end rebuild and i will post pics of everything i do , i usually ride an xr650r but i cant look past an xr400r thats a bargain there just so god dam good off road and reliable im very excited to reco this one

GENTLEMEN ! i have recently bought a xr400 97 mdl and i am also overhauling the carb so from what i have read you can use a post 98 yr mdl kit accept the needle is this right help will be much appreciated im also going to do a top end rebuild and i will post pics of everything i do , i usually ride an xr650r but i cant look past an xr400r thats a bargain there just so god dam good off road and reliable im very excited to reco this one

I'm 99% sure the difference from the older models to the +98 is just jetting. Possibly the slide is slightly different but even with that I think the A16 needle will work. The rest definitley will.