1996 XR400R carb question

hello everyone, Im trying to help a friend overhaul his carb on his 1996 xr400r. and well, we can't seem to find a rebuild kit for his year. the only ones that we can find are for 98-04. now i know that they had a different part number on the carb but they are still basically the same. kiehin PD series 36 mm, what my question is, what exactly makes the 98-04 different and can I use the rebuild kit just for the gaskets, float needle, and others. I am assuming the only difference is the jets sizes, because i was reading that they changed some emission compliance stuff after the first couple years of the xr400 (96 & 97) any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated, you will be helping a fellow get back up and running to ride ? THANKS in advance.

jake

• 3 weeks later...

OK, just incase anyone out there has this same issue I wanted to reply because I had such a hard time finding out a definative answer to my question. As far as model year '96 & '97 carburators on XR400s, you CAN use the rebuild kits sold for 98-04 XR400s, as everything in the kit with exception on the the pilot jet, main jet, & needle are the same. just wanted to let people out there know....

• 2 weeks later...

Mortiky, did you try the needle that came with the kit in the carb and determine it would not work or just not need it? I have that carb (96) and the markings on the needle are J60F. OEM part is $20+ more than other needles.

Does anyone know if there is a cross with another? Does the A16A fit and work well it was mentioned in another post for 98+ models?

I have a different carb to use but I wanted to start and break in my build with the stock as a base line. Besides if I sell it or keep the carb it would be nice not to do either with a bent needle.

I can't see the Jets r us site well because of their menu being in the way when I select an item so it is hard to tell what is available.

Follow up.

Sudco informed me the needle J6DF is a Honda propriatary (sp) needle and OEM is what they reccomend.

I guess I'll use the BSR42 instead for the new build.

If it helps here is the OEM part number <a href="http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-16012-KCY-670.html">16012-KCY-670 best price I found so far is $20.38.

we ended up having to use the needle that came with the 98-04 rebuild kit, and it was different, can't remember what the markings were...but somehow in the process of cleaning the carb the original needle got bent, i managed to bend it back, however i figured that the new needle would be better even though it was wrong, but better than a bent needle. it seems to work just fine. running good, havent read the plug yet or anything but seems to be ok, not sure what effect this needle should have, i know that the jetting for the 98-04 bikes was a bit leaner, not sure though of the effect of the different needle used with the richer jetting of the 96-97. but it works fine, runs good with no hiccups or anything. yeah the parts if purchased individually are rediculous that is why i was so determined to used the rebuild kit, since it was only 35$...all i needed was the bowl gasket and float valve but was worth buying the whole kit.....

GENTLEMEN ! i have recently bought a xr400 97 mdl and i am also overhauling the carb so from what i have read you can use a post 98 yr mdl kit accept the needle is this right help will be much appreciated im also going to do a top end rebuild and i will post pics of everything i do , i usually ride an xr650r but i cant look past an xr400r thats a bargain there just so god dam good off road and reliable im very excited to reco this one

GENTLEMEN ! i have recently bought a xr400 97 mdl and i am also overhauling the carb so from what i have read you can use a post 98 yr mdl kit accept the needle is this right help will be much appreciated im also going to do a top end rebuild and i will post pics of everything i do , i usually ride an xr650r but i cant look past an xr400r thats a bargain there just so god dam good off road and reliable im very excited to reco this one

I'm 99% sure the difference from the older models to the +98 is just jetting. Possibly the slide is slightly different but even with that I think the A16 needle will work. The rest definitley will.