Sign in to follow this  

Flipping a Moto Jack Rack to Lower Platform.

All winter I have a shell on my truck for when we go skiing and I load my bike with a plain jane rail hitch hauler. Last week I picked up a used Moto Jack Rack (similar to the Ultimate MX Hauler) to make loading and traveling easier. I have a Tacoma, put a 2" lift on it, plus larger tires, and had a custom rear bumper fabricated for when I off road the truck. This bumper has the hitch welded into the bumper. So all and all my hitch location is a around 8" higher than a stock taco. The only way to use the rail rack now is if I back up to a curb, use the off loading ramps at the OHVs, or ask someone for help. So I was hoping a MJR would make it more of a one man operation.

When I put the newly purchased MJR into the receiver the distance from the ground to the platform was 25" at its lowest point. I have to lift the bike close to 10" to get it to sit on the platform. I'm only 155 lbs wet and the bike is probably 230 lbs or so (YZ250F). In other words its a PITA. I was thinking about getting a hitch drop adapter, but very afraid of the additional lever arm created by pushing the bike even further from the rear axle. I have beefed up my suspension from stock, but I can really tell there is a bike back there with the rail system. It feels like there is more tongue weight on the truck while hauling the bike than towing my 20' ski boat. So I am quite leery towards adding an adapter to lower the platform.

Last night I unbolted the two arms from the main square tubing (that directly attaches to the hitch), flipped the main square tubing (so the cup for the top of the bottle jack is now at the bottom, but the platform & jack are still oriented the same), and bolted it back together again. It dropped the platform to 15" which would be perfect! I would need to do a little additional fabricating to make it work perfectly.

Has anyone tried to do something like this? Any stress points that I should absolutely add gussets to? I'd love to get a trailer, but I have no space in my house and our HOA will not allow one in the driveway.

I'll get pictures online later today of how it looks in the up and down position.

Well maybe if I put up some pictures it might make more sense...here is how the MX hauler works and how the MJR was originally designed.

Motion_90.gif

You can see when in the up position the lowest point is equal to the height of the trailer hitch. So that fixed square tubing I flipped so now my lowest point in the full upward position is where the top of the bottle jack comes in contact with.

dcb4d712.jpg

This lowest point measures 14 1/2" from the ground (it will decrease once their is load on the rear...maybe 3"-4". The top of the platform measures 32" from the ground (again this will decrease with the load). I will have to reweld a few things to make it hwy safe. I will also upgrade the bolting to grade 8 as it has grade 5 right now.

And here is a picture of it at it's lowest position, the bike platform is 15" from the ground, and much much more manageable to load and unload the bike. As my aluminum bike stand is 15 7/8" tall.

2edd82cf.jpg

I will need to shorten the length of the bottle jack to allow it to compress to this location...it needs 2" of additional clearance, maybe I will look at finding a smaller bottle jack, or cutting and rewelding the jack mount (this will require some additional attention because the jack mount will bind with the lower support arms when in the up position if shortened much further.

I was going to add a semi beefy gusset between the main square tubing comes out and drops down.

The best part about this modification is it allows me to use my tail gate while the hitch is in the down position (the other way it makes contact).

What do you think would be safer for hwy use? Continue to modify the MJR like the pictures here, or using an 8" drop hitch adapter.

The other thing I was thinking of doing was keeping the original design and dropping the platform 10". Much like this guys rack.

http://forum.ih8mud....cle-hauler.html

Edited by joeprunc

No thoughts or ideas? No one from the peanut gallery?

I looked at this again last night and it looks really really plausible. I'm actually thinking of possibly using a scissor jack instead as it will allow it to compress further eliminating the a majority of additional welds and modifications. It will take longer to lift and a lot longer to lower, but it should help warm up my arms so I don't get arm pump :smirk:. Maybe I will be able to use a cordless impact wrench on the scissor jack to lift and lower the bike.

Maybe this weekend I will have some time to load the bike on it, and raise it with my hi-lift. And see how it actually sits when in the loaded position.

It would be great if some of you could grab some dimensions of your MX tires to the ground and heights of the platform to the ground.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, it's still a lever-that's all a MJR is.

I can see how the jack might be an issue, but not something that can't be overcome-looks like you'll have to do some fab-relocation work to line that all up.

Its been two years since I've been using the old style rack and Saturday I finally dropped my bike on my truck. I lost my hand on the front brake loading it up, and somehow the rear tire slid off the side and down she went. Luckily the water truck was just getting off the track and people were paying attention to that and not me.

Its officially time to sawzall.gif & welder.gif the MJR.

Heavier duty leafs will allow for an increased load, but your frame is still the limiting component. These tacoma frames are pretty weak and develop a kink in the frame above the axle from too much load or wheeling to hard.

I've upgraded the rear end with Dakar leafs, timbrin bump stops, and also plated the rear frame, this makes a huge difference, but still you can feel the truck flex on every bump you hit.

I found and ordered a shorter bottle jack, but the shipper sent me a bottle jack from a different mfg, which is actually taller than the existing one. Good Ol' Amazon.com