CRF150R comparisons

My son is 11 and has been riding since he was 4. He has always rode in pastures and mostly trails with one small mx track mixed in. Right now his is riding a 95 kx 80. Well the new bike bug has bitten him and he is really wanting a crf150R. My first concern is power wise, with a good rider how do this bikes compare. I know its a 2t vs a 4t, but I cant seem to find one locally for him to ride right now so we can make our own comparisons. He has decided he wants to race mx, so I am going to be getting him some more gear and a coach in the near future. l dont want this to be a 2t vs 4t pissing match from anyone, just some good solid opinions. I personally have always rode 2t bikes and only rode 1 4t, which I did like also.

Under the hands of a good rider and with proper set-up, it will hold it's own with any super mini. Took 3 place at LL. The key is a set-up for the rider's style and weight. If your child is fast this bike will not hold him back! Power wise the 150r is a bit low compared to a 80/85. However the torque and ease of riding overcomes any lack of power. Add in some mods and the power is super strong while keeping rideablity (traction) in tack.

Edited by weantright

My son is also 11 and is riding a 2010 KX85. I ride a 2007 CRF150rb that has been set up for an adult. My son's last bike was a KX65. Having ridden both my son prefers his KX85. He says that my CRF150rb feels like it weighs a ton. He also says that he prefers the two stroke power but that may be because it's what he's used to. Personally, I prefer the 150's power. As far as speed, they are really close. If there is anyway possible, let your son test ride a 150

he is really wanting a crf150R. My first concern is power wise, with a good rider how do this bikes compare.

Then get him one. Motocross isn't won by the most power, it's won by the best rider.

Your son will go faster on a bike he wants to ride, than on a bike he doesn't.

Then get him one. Motocross isn't won by the most power, it's won by the best rider.

Your son will go faster on a bike he wants to ride, than on a bike he doesn't.

+1, key is set-up for rider and track. Just like in life, you will have more fun and go further with confidence. Rider's confidence is

trust in your bike right after you trust your skill, just after you trust your mechanic.

Thanks for the help guys, After finding a crf150R I am more undecided, buy his mind is made up. I will be getting a CRF150RB for him as soon as I can find one. The regular R is just a little shorter than I want to get right now. In 6 months he will be wanting something bigger if I go with the small wheel, so I am on the search for a crf150RB. After riding them both, he says his 2t feels faster once he gets in the pipe, but likes the feel of the low end torque of the 4t. It looks like I will be keeping the 80 also because he just cant seem to part with it :bonk:

After riding them both, he says his 2t feels faster once he gets in the pipe, but likes the feel of the low end torque of the 4t.

Feelings can be deceptive. Lap times are all that matters. On which bike can he turn the fastest laps during the last half of the moto??

Ive had the pleasure to own both a cr85 05 with all the goodys , and 07crf150r pretty much stock, and atleast for me it's hands down the 150 overall , gotta love that explosive powerband of the 85 though, i only ride mx tracks ,im a bigger rider , and also have a 450r , i actually like riding the 150r to the 450r on less extreme tracks. just my 2 cents . the biggest thing i don't like on the 150 is the stock tires,mine has the starcross tires i hate them , very slippery.

also i want to add , make sure to spend the time to get the jetting ''just right'' , or the little guy won;t be happy, the guy i bought my 150 from dumped it saying his son didnt like it , the jetting was so screwed up (far off) and ap circuit was plugged) i could see why.

• 3 weeks later...

My Son has both, a KX85 and a 2009 CRF150r that he got for Christmas. He loves the 150 torque, but is faster on the 85. He is also 11 but is very lean. At 70LBS soak and wet, he has a hard time getting it up after a fall, and its a alot harder to re-start than his 85. But he still loves to ride it, and prefers jumping it.