Sign in to follow this  

nOOb (to dirt/DS) needs buying help on XR650R...

Looking to buy a used XR650R and plate it in NJ.

In general, would you guys suggest an OLDER bike with LOWER miles/hours (i.e. a 2000 with 3,128 miles) or a NEWER bike with HIGHER miles/hours (i.e. a 2005 with 14,748 miles)???

The assumption being all else being near equal --- both near stock, or similar mods, and both in similar physical/visual condition.

Bottom-line: which do you feel is more important? LOWER miles/hours, and therefore actual use? Or, NEWER bike?

I am leaning towards OLDER bike with LOWER miles/usage but am WIDE open to your thoughts...

Thanks!

"CO-or-bust"

Looking to buy a used XR650R and plate it in NJ.

In general, would you guys suggest an OLDER bike with LOWER miles/hours (i.e. a 2000 with 3,128 miles) or a NEWER bike with HIGHER miles/hours (i.e. a 2005 with 14,748 miles)???

The assumption being all else being near equal --- both near stock, or similar mods, and both in similar physical/visual condition.

Bottom-line: which do you feel is more important? LOWER miles/hours, and therefore actual use? Or, NEWER bike?

I am leaning towards OLDER bike with LOWER miles/usage but am WIDE open to your thoughts...

Thanks!

"CO-or-bust"

I'd go with the lower mi one. Imagine how many millions of revolutions more the higher mi one has on its engine.

The bikes are the same from 2000 onwards just a couple of very small mods, clutch spacer and output shaft seal...and of course graphics, but apart from that they are all the same, go with the best mileage and condition; either will be fine.

When I was looking I saw a lot of them beat to crap, I could'nt pass up the one I ended up buying a 2001 with stock tires, no plate, (no title in colorado)I've since ridden it more in the last year than it had ever been ridden in 10! I think I paid 2600 for it.

In retrospect I think I would have liked to find one street legal so I did'nt have to go thru the proccess of getting it plated. or at least one with some farkles on it. And maybe given up a little in the wear and tear dept.

I hope you find a nice one!

The bikes are the same from 2000 onwards just a couple of very small mods, clutch spacer and output shaft seal...and of course graphics, but apart from that they are all the same, go with the best mileage and condition; either will be fine.

"The bikes are the same from 2000 onwards..." - "go with the best mileage and condition..." --- That's what I was thinking, but it's nice to get it confirmed.

Yea go with the low miles.

These things are virtually indestructable,the exceptions being owner induced malfunctionms.

The bike is a good thing.

In our wonderful state you will have to find something already titled. They are out there but few and far between with a Jersey title. Can work the out of state angle but I always look for a valid Jersey title. Our DMV sux.