Sign in to follow this  

Bike security of 4x8 trailer

Well I was going to get a 5x8 utility trailer with a wood floor in a couple days but found out that the place has a nice 4x8 trailer with a mesh floor for $400 cheaper. I am going to be pulling this trailer with my car and with either size it would be fine. The 4x8 would be somewhat lighter and might save a little more of gas. But anyways my question is how do you secure your bike down on a mesh floor? For the wood floor trailer I was going to screw down some d rings in each corner and put a couple of wheel chocks on it to. I can't figure out how you would secure the straps or front wheel if I cant screw something down. I would also like to save $400 dollars if I could so if anyone has any suggestions or helpful tips and pics of how they secure their bike on a mesh floor trailer that would be great.

I have a mesh floor 5x8 trailer, I put tiedown points along the metal rail on the outside of the trailer.

I have a mesh floor 5x8 trailer, I put tiedown points along the metal rail on the outside of the trailer.

Do you just use eye bolts or what?

i have a mesh floor 5x8 and I pull my straps from te front corner side rails, actually little triangles welded there for this. I did add a sheet of treated 3/4 plywood to the floor for added strength.

There should be an angle iron frame structure that the mesh is tack welded to.

Secure your tiedown points to this framework, back it with washers (spread the stress) and you should be good.

You can use eyebolts or tie down rings. Only downside of eyebolts is keep an eye on them so they don't start to spread out.

I've used a mesh floor trailer forever and I have not done anything special at all. I just hook my straps to the trailer frame (angle iron) and go. I have logged may miles using this method with no problems at all.

i have a mesh floor 5x8 and I pull my straps from te front corner side rails, actually little triangles welded there for this. I did add a sheet of treated 3/4 plywood to the floor for added strength.

Ditto.

Do you just use eye bolts or what?

i just used eye bolts since I had some laying around but you could use d rings too it doesnt matter.

What about wheel chocks? Does anybody use them on a mesh floor trailer? If not how do you secure your front wheel without one? And if you do use a wheel chock how did you secure it to the floor of the trailer?

What about wheel chocks? Does anybody use them on a mesh floor trailer? If not how do you secure your front wheel without one? And if you do use a wheel chock how did you secure it to the floor of the trailer?

I just use the front rail of the trailer.

Ccr sport makes the bed buddy, a nice solid bar with chocks and welded strap loops. I'm putting one on my trailer, have had it in the truck for years. Very secure.

Ccr sport makes the bed buddy, a nice solid bar with chocks and welded strap loops. I'm putting one on my trailer, have had it in the truck for years. Very secure.

This seems like a really nice setup. Do you have any pics of this?