Sign in to follow this  

1994 XT 350 Idling Issue

Hi my 94' xt350 runs pretty good, but it doesn't want to idle when it's cold and I have to give it a lot of throttle to keep it running when cold. And when it warms up after a good ride, it wants to idle at around 4000 rpm. I don't really know what to adjust to fix it.

Sounds like you have an air leak . Check the insulators ( rubber tubes that connect the carbs to the head ) . Spray a bit of starting fluid . Use the small tube on the nozzle to try pin pointing the leak . If the insulator is too bad , it'll likely need to be replaced .

Edited by pd350

Ok, so I know I have an oil leak on the top of the motor. It looks like a faulty gasket. When I run the bike for a while you can see the oil on top of the motor. Would this have any effect on it idling? I will check for an air leak hopefully tomorrow.

Your oil leak is a separate problem . Possibly the decompression seal , but more likely either the valve cover bolt grommets or the valve cover gasklet . If you replace the gasket , you should also replace the bolt grommets as they provide the correct pressure for the gasket . DO NOT over tighten the bolts . They are a shouldered bolt and only need 6 foot pounds pressure to keep them in place .