Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Supercross & Drug Testing(WADA)

I read an article where Ryan Villopoto indicated that he was recently tested for peformance enhancing drugs, unannounced, I believe at his home. I didn't know the FIM and WADA were performing random drug tests. I know it was talked about some time ago but I wasn't aware that this policy had been implemented.

Ryan said he had to provide a urine sample and WADA, I think it's an anti-doping agency, conducted the test. I don't know if they are permitted by law to draw blood in order to conduct the test.

Ryan stated that what if someone smokes marijuana or uses some other drug and he has to be careful about what he puts in his body, especially red meat because of all the hormones/steroids they give to animals.

Very interesting! I guess if you've used some type of performance enhancement drug in the past the FIM/WADA will find out.

The article is on racerxill.com.

:smirk:

This was publicized a while ago and Wilson had to piss in a cup after he won Saturday

http://www.racerxonl...-kevin-crowther

There has been a lot of talk about drug testing. I hear that you guys have expanded your program?

That’s correct. We use the WADA Program (World Anti-Doping Association), and we have expanded our coverage to both the Supercross and the Lites class. Last year, WADA only applied to the Supercross class. The program is administered by an independent third party company and has nothing to do with us or our employees. Basically, we support it fully, but have nothing to do with the nuts and bolts of it. We never know which event they will come to, or who they will test. We leave six event passes and parking passes at Will Call and Feld sets aside a drug testing room for them in case they show up. Last year I think they came to two events. It’s a really good program, and it covers both the Supercross class and the Lites class for 2011. On the FIM site, there is a ton of information on there if anyone wants to get more information.

Edited by meyermetal

This has been back and forth on Twitter all last week. It seems 2 riders get tested on a regular basis for the season. In 2012 SX its Villo and Reed. Last year Windham said he got it. From what I gather, each of these 2 have to provide a whereabouts for everyday during the season and can have surprise testing done at any time.

I'm sure others get random tested as well.

I remember reading about this when I first started riding dirtbikes.

As a former powerlifter/bodybuilder, I thought it was kinda funny that these guys under 200lbs were tested for such. But after racing my first race, I completely understood the want and desire to go to such extremes. ESPECIALLY outdoors, 36 minute moto's would be absolutely brutal.

I understood why the cyclists resorted to measures over a race that lasted hours on end, but kinda laughed when I first heard MX'ers being tested back in 2006. I don't laugh anymore, racing 5 or 6 laps is still fairly rough for me even though I've been riding a MTB along side MX for the few years I've been on the track.

Edited by T-Dub512

I remember reading about this when I first started riding dirtbikes.

As a former powerlifter/bodybuilder, I thought it was kinda funny that these guys under 200lbs were tested for such. But after racing my first race, I completely understood the want and desire to go to such extremes. ESPECIALLY outdoors, 36 minute moto's would be absolutely brutal.

I understood why the cyclists resorted to measures over a race that lasted hours on end, but kinda laughed when I first heard MX'ers being tested back in 2006. I don't laugh anymore, racing 5 or 6 laps is still fairly rough for me even though I've been riding a MTB along side MX for the few years I've been on the track.

Coming from someone else who has does his fair share of heavy lifting... you do realize theres more to the performance enhancing world than bulking cycles, right?

There are tons of anabolic steroids, or "performance enhancing drugs". Muscle recovery, lean muscle, cutting...

can you say J-Law

I am pretty sure they don't consider weed and cocaine performance enhancing. Heroin on the other hand, that can unleash some crazy shit to an athlete

• Like 1

Who cares? I dont have an issue with pro riders or anyone else using performance enhanceing "drugs". There are few health risks for these guys using it.

If you are on the world cup ski or snowboard tour you must register with usada. You have to give them your travel/life schedule every two weeks. They can show up at any time for random test. If they can't track you down at the place you gave them in your travel schedule.........failed test.

I could give a crap what they are on...twist that throttle, show me what you can do.

I'm not sure how this helps anything...was there a problem? :smirk:

As JBradshaw stated, there are numerous other PEDs that can be used by athletes other than steroids. Erythropoeitin or EPO increases the blood's oxygen carrying capacity thereby increasing strength and decreasing fatigue. It could make a huge difference at the end of a long moto. Testosterone has been shown to shorten recovery time (drug of choice for disgraced TdF winner Floyd Landis). Imagine cycling a century in the morning, lifting in the afternoon, and waking up the next day to moto with no soreness. There are dozens of other options. Urine will show some, but a combination of blood and urine samples is needed to do a full screening.

As for who they target, I believe it is likely contenders for the MX des Nations.

Coming from someone else who has does his fair share of heavy lifting... you do realize theres more to the performance enhancing world than bulking cycles, right?

There are tons of anabolic steroids, or "performance enhancing drugs". Muscle recovery, lean muscle, cutting...

Yes thats why I said I understand where they come from in their want and need to use the extreme measures of blood doping, EPO, etc. It is a whole other world of drugs they could be using that aren't intended to just to lift heavy and have muscles. I must not have been specific enough.

Edited by T-Dub512

I don't know much about drug :smirk: but I would encourage anyone to go smoke a bowl and try to compete at a pro level supercross race and see what happens.

Jeff Emig?

I like what Wilson said in his interview with Racer X

I meant the doping control:

Oh! The doping! Well, yeah, that was a shame because I missed the whole 450 race, I had to go take a pee. It kind of sucked because I had to have some guy watch me take a piss the whole time. He’s just staring at me. So it wasn’t good.

Is that the first time we’ve seen 250s get doping control:

Yes, that’s the first time I’ve ever had any of the doping control. So hopefully all the steroids that I’ve been taking don’t take the win away [laughs].

The big deal to me is that you have an international field of competitors, receiving financial compensation for accomplishments that are recorded for future generations to chase. You can't allow riders to gain an unfair advantage over others, not because of their human abilities, bikes "legal" setup/technology or training regiment, but because they dropped big money a month on PEDs so they could gain the edge needed to surpass their peers.

To big of an industry now to let that crap exist, IMHO.