Sign in to follow this  

newly powder coated rims look like crap.

I just got my rims, hubs, frame and subframe back from the powder coating place and well the rims look like crap! They have a textured almost pitted finish to them. These where barely used axcel rims. Is this normal? Shouldn't they have a smooth finish to them? I'm going to take them back and talk to the guy about it..

that sounds like outgassing. thats from poor prep on the 'coaters side.

have them redone

Edited by Dirtymutt9

Yeah they should be smooth as a babies bottom. No way they should be rough or pitted in anyway. You should have caught that before you took them back. My hoops had to be done twice as they did not come out good. He caught it and did them again.

Poor prep work is the cause. Probably just sprayed and baked em, lookin to make easy cash.

Take them back, have them redone and dont go back again.

I took them back yesterday. The guy is going to redo them.. He said it was from sand blasting.. I always thought you wasnt suppost to sand blast aluminum.. I won't be using this guy again.

you can sandblast aluminum, it sounds like they didn't put enough coating on to fill the profile from the sandblasting. Sandblasting will put around 3.0 to 4.0 mil profile in steel, sound like the coating only had 1-2 mils total, which didn't fill the profile. That's why it looks rough, you can still see the pits from the blast. Hopefully that makes sense.

Yep, poor prep work. I just had my excels done here local in Denver, as well as hubs and frame. EXCELLENT work from the guy I used and $265 out the door, clear coated to boot.