Sign in to follow this  

Blown crank seal or? (Pics of oily stator area inside)

Well as most of you know I have 10 hours on this bike since new top end, reeds, and exhaust packing...Really wanted to replace the crank seals while we were doing it all but just ran out of $$$ plain and simple. This past weekend I completely broke her down to do a thorough cleaning...I took off the stator/ignition cover to lube the clutch cable and this is what I found....

IMAG0652.jpg

IMAG0654.jpg

IMAG0653.jpg

The only thing I can think of is I recently installed a new clutch cable that I wayy over lubed because it was my first time doing it with that little cable tool. It took a while to figure out how to use it correctly, So I'm wondering if possibly that was the excess lube that got trapped in there somehow, or have I full out blown a seal??

Nope. Hell I lubed the cable before it was ever even mounted on the bike!!! AND, I lubed the cable this past time by pulling the cable out of the cover and putting a rag under it on the foot peg...BUT like I said, when I lubed it that first time off the bike I wasted about 1/4 of the can trying to get that stupid cable luber tool on correctly...Finally I did, but didn't go overboard. Initially got more lube outside the damn cable than inside, but damn it why did that have to happen, because now I don't know which it is!

I put the bike back together and cleaned all of that up, and when I was done, I ran the bike again, so possibly could have done it again if it was leaking seal...I need to go check.

Edited by BlackCR25098

My vote would be lube.

If it was seal you wouldn't have that pattern, and I'd think you would have a lot more fluid in the bottom.

However, I'm no expert. Good luck Bro.

Hell I'm glad! I'm PRAYING it is lube! Problem is I lubed the cable again after I discovered this....OUTside the cover just like the first time, but maybe some is up in the cable and gravity just works it's way down into the cover when it's being pulled on over time....I dunno, I hope that's what it is, but realistically gonna replace them crank seals soon anyway!

that splatter looks like it is from the cable...if your crank seal was bad I would expect to see more oil in the bottom.

what kind of lube are you using in your cable?

that splatter looks like it is from the cable...if your crank seal was bad I would expect to see more oil in the bottom.

what kind of lube are you using in your cable?

I am using something from Cycle Gear that is specific for cables. It included the cable luber tool is mainly why I got it. It's a green can. I believe it's called "Cable Life"...That is still good news. Would way rather it be cable lube obviously...Maybe I should do a better job of letting it dry out or something...

I need to open it back up and check since this past weekend I lubed again and put it all back together and ran it.

I'm going to say cable too, or possibly clutch shaft seal. Left side crank seal will suck air and make the bike run lean.

Edited by XR250rdr

I'm going to say cable too, or possibly clutch shaft seal. Left side crank seal will suck air and make the bike run lean.

Oh okay, so even if the left side crank seal "went out" it wouldn't get oil inside there? Where's the clutch shaft seal?

Edited by BlackCR25098

It might leak some oil, but that side usually causes a lean condition. The right side tends to suck in transmission fluid and make the bike act like its running really rich.

The clutch actuator arm shaft (arm you connect clutch cable to) has a seal where it enters the engine case. More than likely that oil is from lubing the cable though.

Edited by XR250rdr

It might leak some oil, but that side usually causes a lean condition. The right side tends to suck in transmission fluid and make the bike act like its running really rich.

The clutch actuator arm shaft (arm you connect clutch cable to) has a seal where it enters the engine case. More than likely that oil is from lubing the cable though.

Oh, alright...I'll have to check that clutch arm seal.... Still really want to replace both my crank seals as well...It's just weird that most of that lube stayed in the cable until later...

That's what my cover looked like when I first got my bike. Figured it was just the PO blasting lube in there.

Like to lube the cable every ride. Gives that nice feedback to the lever.

Damn right, I just went and took it off again...Noticed there was 1/10th the amount of fluid at the very bottom this time, and some splash up behind the cable I didn't get the first time. Back of the cover was still clean as can be, BUT I did lube it again right after I found it the first time...Am I doing something in wrong? I sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner, then cable lube down it until I didn't see any more dripping, then installed it right back on up!

It's hard to describe but the first time I got lube everywhere trying to figure out how to use the tool just right, second time I did it spot on, not near as much..So I think it was all just part of that first mess up.

Just keep an eye on your fluid levels. If your not loosing tranny oil I'd say your good.

Ride on Brother.

I wouldn't worry about it unless the bike was running different. Of all the mechanical creations of man I've had the pleasure of working on, I've not yet found one that was free of grime of some sort. Seals get old, things start to leak, parts get lubed, and as long as it isn't running poorly, who cares. :smirk:

First, I think you are waaayyy over lubing! For the first 6 years I rode dirt I never lubed a single cable (thats what the plastic liners are for). Never wore out cables either, so I figured I would try out lubing regularly and see if I could notice any improvement in "effort" for clutch and throttle. The only thing ive noticed is the lube is great for attracting dirt and requires constant cleaning and relubing. So in my opinion its simply a way to increase your maintenance! You also had better luck with the lube tool, mine does nothing besides make a huge mess. I can get more lube into the cable shroud by "trickling" the lube down the cable straight from the straw on the can.

When I pulled my cover I also found an oily residue. I was wondering because if you look past the stator there is a little hole that looks like a drain

Yup, it drains out the bottom of the cases.

Id clean it, run it again and reinspect. Looks like extra cable lube though.

It got a meticulous cleaning last night. If my mom wasn't in bed sick I'd go fire her up for a little bit today, but it's a crappy old day. Rest of the week will be nice though. As I said I took the cover off last night, after running it for 15 mins the other day, and it had a tiny tiny bit in the very bottom...Likely just what I had missed the first time, none even on the backside of the cover.

First, I think you are waaayyy over lubing! For the first 6 years I rode dirt I never lubed a single cable (thats what the plastic liners are for). Never wore out cables either, so I figured I would try out lubing regularly and see if I could notice any improvement in "effort" for clutch and throttle. The only thing ive noticed is the lube is great for attracting dirt and requires constant cleaning and relubing. So in my opinion its simply a way to increase your maintenance! You also had better luck with the lube tool, mine does nothing besides make a huge mess. I can get more lube into the cable shroud by "trickling" the lube down the cable straight from the straw on the can.

I thank you for replying but first of all I think that is nuts! LOL didn't lube a cable for 6 years??? The difference in pull on a freshly cleaned/lubed cable is huge. I don't see how you could just not do it?? I'm a maintenance freak so keep every bit of it clean and lubed is no big deal. However, here really soon I will be installing my hydraulic clutch, so this cable lubing will be a thing of the past!