Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Bringing a plated AZ DRZ400E into Colorado

Hi all. I am a Colorado resident and just bought a 2003 DRZ 400E in Arizona. It's got Supermoto wheels and DOT tires as well as a BajaDesigns street legal kit, and it's already street legal there (has an AZ title and license plate). Now, I want to register it in Colorado. I have read all the forum threads I could find, but they all deal with plating an off-road bike in Colorado. And, I already have it insured. My question is this:

If my bike is already plated in AZ, do I have to go through all that compliance check and VIN check, or can I just fill out the "Application for Title" form and call it good? Is there any other challenge bringing a bike in from Arizona?

KG...my best advice is to just pay a visit to your local county clerk office and ask them. I did that before I started the process to plate 3 off-roads bikes in Colorado. They gave me the exact procedures and forms that I needed to complete and how to schedule an appt at the CSP office, etc.

My guess is that since it is already plated you only have to show up with your properly completed AZ title paperwork and a bill of sale and they will issue you new plates and send you a Colorado title in the mail (after paying sales tax and all the other licensing and registration fees). I can guarantee you that you will need to have proof of insurance when you show up at the county clerk office to get plates.

Even if you have to go through the off-road to on-road inspection process it is not that difficult as long as the bike complies with the regulations (headlight, tail light, brake light, DOT tires, mirror, horn and one rear reflector). It can be a little time consuming to bring the bike up to compliance (if needed) and then schedule the appt at the CSP office, drag the bike to the CSP office for inspection, and then go back to the county clerk office to get plates.

Oops. Gotta change my 'handle' now that I no longer have a KTM.

Thanks Silver Fox. I'm working in California right now, and will be for a couple more weeks, so I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I return home--not that it's necessary, I just like to be ahead of the game. Thanks for all your help.

Where are you planning to move to in Colorado? I'm sure you can call them as well ....probably dont have to show up in person. The hours for my local county clerk's office (Arapahoe County) are typically M-F from 700 am to 430 PM MST. You might start from this link:

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1177024843137?packedargs=a-id-prefix%3DTopNav.

I have found that they are very picky about how to fill out paperwork. I just went through a situation where the seller included tenths when he listed the odometer mileage on the 2005 WR250F title that he signed over to me (i.e. showed 923.5 mi vs 923 mi). Problem was that the title form says 'no tenths' and they sent it back to me to have the seller go get another copy of the title issued from his county clerk and then have him re-sign all the documents just so that he wouldnt show the .5 tenths. I had a sh*t fit and called the manager of the Colorado Titling office (which rejected the paperwork sent in by my local County Clerks office) and we found a way around this issue due to the fact that the WR250F doesnt have an odometer but a reset-able trip meter.

My only point is you might see if you can fax or e-mail them the documents in advance and have them look it over very closely and let you know right now if they see any issues before you get out here to Colorado.

If you end up having to go through the conversion from off-road to on-road process, feel free to hit me up....I can point you to the correct forms that show you the regulations and walk you through the process (i just converted 3 of our bikes in 2012).

A vehicle that is already titled in another state is easy. Get a VIN verification, take the title and proof of insurance to the DMV, and register it.

It is no different than if you were bringing a Lexus in Colorado.