Sign in to follow this  

07 DRZ 400 hard to start

Hi guys

Sorry to start a new thread here but I really cant find one that help me out…. Here is my issue.

I have a stock DRZ400 no mods (apart from removing the stand kill switch) 07 mod 8000 kms

The bike has been getting harder and harder to start when cold and would not idle at all (without throttle) when cold. The other day I took it for a hard ride and noticed that it was getting even hard to start when warm.

Next day I tried to start it and no luck at all. Changed the spark and took the carb apart and blew all the jets with compressed air (all looked good) I put it all back together again. But it still would not start. I then put a few squirts of oil throught the spark plug and bike started ok (still would not idle while cold).

Put the bike back together cleaned air cleaner – bike was really hard to start – had to pump throttle etc multiple times…

I tried to start it this morning again (after sitting for a night) and again bike was really hard to start I had to pump the throttle heaps and it only ended up starting with choke of.

I have checked all the lines etc and really not sure what to do – I did check valve clearance about 500 kms ago etc.

Any ideas would be great – as it has me confused and seems to be an issue that has been gradually getting worse.

BTW – I did an oil change just before the last ride and everything looked ok.

low compression/ bad rings or maybe it's time to check your valves all of this could lead to poor or no starting. i'd start with a compression check first

If it started better with oil in the cylinder to seal the rings, I woulod guess low compression. Do a cylinder leak down test. Or lock the auto decompression release on the EX cam disabled and do a compression test.