Sign in to follow this  

2009 crf450r wont cold start. whats the amount of adjustments on the fast idle ?

Ok so i bought a 09 450 yesterday the guy started it and it ran and he revved it..But today i tried to start it and it would fire a few times and back fire everyonce in a while...So i turned the fast idle knob a couple of time's clock wise which should speed the idle up...but my question is what is the OEM fast idle click's suppouse to be ? I think that i have got the idle speed way out of whack...i tried to push start it so i could get it to idle but i only weight 160lbs so when i jump on it to bump start it it just lock the rear tire up.

Thanks,

Adam

Hey! Turning the idle speed adjustment knob should be rotated in a counter clockwise position in order to increase the idle. Was the bike cold when buddy originally started the machine or was it warmed up before you arrived? Check the fuel filter is clean and hopefully the valves are in check! This is all i can offer you in the way of assistance. I'm no mechanic that's for sure but i do know what it's like to purchase a new to you bike and have issues with it. This sucks big time, good luck Adam!

ya the bike was cold when he started it.. i could tell for one that it didnt kick over the first kick...they are a great local shop and know their stuff and i have a few buddies that have bought 4 to 5 new bikes from them every year for awhile. so they kinda know me. the dude said it had sit in side the shop for a few months and he cranked it two hours before i got there and went through the gears to make sure it was all fine..but i think when i adjusted the idle i got it really messed up.. and plus this is my first efi bike i just came off of a 07 crf250 so the whole starting a cold efi bike is all new to me.. one of my freinds just bought a new 12 CRF250 and it dosent kick first kick when cold.

Turn the idle adjust knob counter-clockwise if your looking at the left side of bike to increase the idle. It won't ever start on the first kick when cold, takes 2 kicks minimum to charge the capacitor that starts the EFI unit after the bike has been sitting.

I usually kick mine over a few times lightly (not trying to start) with the idle knob pressed in to charge the electrical system and prime the fuel, 5-10 times maybe.

Then pull the idle knob out to fast idle position and give it a good kick from TDC, usually goes on the first or second kick. Let it idle with the knob out (fast) for about 20 seconds then press it in, tune the idle to about 1800 rpm. I don't think that messing with the idle speed while the knob is in has any effect on the setting when the knob is pulled out to start it..

If the bike is in good running order it should start on 3rd or 4th kick cold. Just pull the cold start knob out. Kick it easy 2 times to charge the system. Then softly push the kickerstarter until you hit compression. Let the kickstarter go all the way back to the top. Then give it a hard full kick. You may really have to jump on it at 160lbs.

i found out what was wrong with it, it had a fouled plug, i pulled the plug and cleaned it and put it back in and it fired but fouled it again real quick..but i have a new plug coming tomorrow. and being 5"8 160lbs sucks trying to kick this thing...i can only imgaine how fast its going to be im uset to 250fs and my yz250 2t...time for EFI !!!