Sign in to follow this  

Carb Float Issues on stock DR350 carb

Hi All

I have recently bought a DR350 (1995 SES) and have given it a service as well as taking carb out and giving it a good clean. I have started it today and notice fuel leaking out of thin breather pipe at bottom of carb. It's a constant flow which only stops when I turn fuel off.

I am sure this relates to a float issue as I had something similar with a husky and was solved by adjusting float height and freeing it up after it got stuck.

When cleaning the carb I replaced the float needle valve and checked the float height but can't work out how you rmeasure it! the clymer manual states it should be between 13.2 and 15,2mm but I dont know where to measure from so I kinda guessed it.

I am sure it's not caused by the float being stuck as I could hear it moving freely when I shook the carb before refitting it.

Any advice appreciated

Update on carb saga!

Taken carb out and bowl off. All seems in order but not sure whether float level is correct so will try to sort that.

One thing I have noticed is that the overflow pipe which connects to the drain pipe seems to be blocked one way but not the other, is there some sort of one way valve in there? As this is the pipe where fuel is leaking from I wonder if it's correct! I tried to clear this pipe with cockail stick when I cleaned carb thinking it was blocked!

Perhaps this is the cause of the problem.....any ideas?

Yeah, I bet your float is not set correctly. You need to buy or borrow a special tool that will allow you to measure the carb float level.

Here's an idea - take the carb off and go to a small engine repair place. If they are nice I bet they will measure the float for you. Then you can at least confirm if that is your problem or not.

Does it drip even when the bike is straight up? If so, I'm not sure it is a float level problem. If it only drips when slightly leaned over, then it probably is a float level problem.

make sure your drain screw is tight and the seating surface is good and clean. you float valve can be stuck, even tho the float bounces all over when you shake it. what usually happens is junk in the tank and lines washes down into the carb and gets caught between the needle and seat and let fuel gush constantly. it has this happen on a few occasions on some different bikes. best way is to clean your carb, blow out the fuel inlet passages, make sure nothing is stuck in there, and when you put it back together, install a fuel filter. almost always solves the issue. on my bike i kept cleaning the carb, and it kept leaking even after totally rebuilding it. then i put a cheap napa inline fuel filter and it never gets stuck anymore.

even if you bike has an in tank strainer, get a filter!

Edited by MCRIPPPer