Sign in to follow this  

TDC w/ engine out of frame help

1996 XR600R

I have the entire engine out of frame for a rebuild, thus I'm not able to use any of the fancy tricks such as using the rear wheel in 4th or 5th gear to get the engine to TDC. I'm relying on the crankshaft bolt. Of course turning it counter clockwise and watching intake valves stop moving. Then I immediately look in the peep hole for the hash mark that comes just before the "T".

Well my problem is with the tension and compression of the engine I can't get it to perfectly line up the "T" with the mark on the hole. I can get it just before the "T". Is this close enough? All the valves have play in them at that point. If I try to go the extra 1/2 inch further to get a perfect alignment the dang flywheel goes past the "T" mark and I'm having to crank, crank crank the strokes all the wayback around.

In my mind if I could see the cam lobes like normal bikes being close to the "T" on this bike should put the cam lobes somewhere on the half circle of the cam which is more than close enough. Or rather akin to the lobes being pointed straight up. What am I missing here or will this work for me the way I'm doing it with the valves being loose where I'm at?

It is normal for the piston to want to go past TDC even with the plug out. Use the ratchet handle to slowly bring the piston just to TDC and place a block of wood of the proper height under the ratchet handle to hold the crank at that position.

It is normal for the piston to want to go past TDC even with the plug out. Use the ratchet handle to slowly bring the piston just to TDC and place a block of wood of the proper height under the ratchet handle to hold the crank at that position.

breaker bar is perfect for this. :smirk: