Sign in to follow this  

Muffler loudness issue

I am at a bit of a dilemma since I bought my bike it came with the FMF powercore 4 slipon exhaust. Recently riding around my neighborhood I have neighbours coming out and getting mad at how loud my exhaust was. It does sound pretty badass to me however. I looked up the quiet db insert that FMF offers and it's $40! My question is , is it better to replace it with a stock exhaust to keep the db down or get the quiet insert that FMF offers if it even makes any difference (96 db)?

If I am to replace with a stock exhaust, how much noise difference can I expect? And How do I take it off and install a new one? Searching around not much tutorials on how to do it and looking at the service manuals and user manual I was unable to find this as well.

thanks all

Its still very loud with that quiet insert , not worth 40$ . Go with the stock muffler . Very easy to change , take off your right side plastics , loosen the collar after the header , remove bolt on rear foot peg and the bolt at the muffler .

Edited by razor21

Its still very loud with that quiet insert , not worth 40$ . Go with the stock muffler .

Arranged to pick one up tonight. Is there anything special (ie: gasket) I need in order to take off the one I have now and replace it with the stock one?

oh sry im wrong i didnt know your bike is a drz, but still you will get better performance out of it....... and looks nicer......

No performance gain with a slip-on . only a weight saving

oh sry im wrong i didnt know your bike is a drz, but still you will get better performance out of it....... and looks nicer......

that's where the dilemma is, i can barely hear it bombing in the canyons and it sounds sooooooooo sweet. however when i get back in the city it just stands out like an eye sore. i'm trying to justify if it's even worth taking off for a ~10db difference

I feel fortunate to live in a state that doesn't have a maximum db level on motorcycles. I can get my MRD to be quiet as long as I keep the RPM's down, you haven't tried taking it easy on the throttle around town?

I feel fortunate to live in a state that doesn't have a maximum db level on motorcycles. I can get my MRD to be quiet as long as I keep the RPM's down, you haven't tried taking it easy on the throttle around town?

I follow this approach, easy on the throttle will be quiet no matter what. my culdesac is about 200' long, most of the time I roll up to the beginning of the culdesac at about 25 mph, grab the clutch and shut the bike off. use my speed to roll to my house, but sometimes I have to fire it back up to make it all the way to my garage. when leaving be easy on the throttle. They're used to loud exhausts on hondas and trucks around my parts though, so all the neighbors who rent don't blink an eye at me.

I have the FMF4 Full system I let that shit scream just like harleys and rice burners do its music to my ears.RIde with pride!

I have the FMF4 Full system I let that shit scream just like harleys and rice burners do its music to my ears.RIde with pride!

me too..... outside of a 250' radius of my house! lol.

If you like the sound who cares what your neighbors think, that said I would still be taking it easy on the throttle in my neighborhood.

Put the stocker back on. Ya ain't getting anything power wise with the slip-on. The extra noise is just pissing folks off, giving us riders a bad name for no reason.

• Like 1

Put the stocker back on. Ya ain't getting anything power wise with the slip-on. The extra noise is just pissing folks off, giving us riders a bad name for no reason.

Yeah, eventually those angry folks will complain to the mayor or governor or who ever and have a law written that outlaws any after-market pipes, then where will we be? Treat hi-flow mufflers as what they are: a privlege. They're nice to have and use, but if we abuse them, the majority out there will have them outlawed.. and we ain't the majority.

Yeah, eventually those angry folks will complain to the mayor or governor or who ever and have a law written that outlaws any after-market pipes, then where will we be? Treat hi-flow mufflers as what they are: a privlege. They're nice to have and use, but if we abuse them, the majority out there will have them outlawed.. and we ain't the majority.

Tis true my friend. I recently bought the SSW and have often thought about the noise and my neighbors. 3rd gear at 20mph is reasonable, loud but reasonable.

it cant be near as loud as a squid on a harley with drag pipes or some hick with as many teeth as brain cells driving his chevy with straight pipes. if you like the sound, keep it. anything to help you get noticed while riding is good for your safety