Sign in to follow this  

fmf pipes

What bike? YZ80 125 OR 250? If its a 00' or newer 250 leave it stock. trust me. if you wanna look pretty get it.

so what are the benefits of a SST pipe and shorty muffler over stock :smirk::bonk:

They are reputebly difficult to jet properly. Get a Fatty...

What bike? YZ80 125 OR 250? If its a 00' or newer 250 leave it stock. trust me. if you wanna look pretty get it.

Why leave it stock? Look pretty :smirk:

Pipes add power and change the pwerband, why would you not want one?

the yz250 does run extremely well with the stock exhaust system. they are easy to smash though. the sst is by far the worst pipe for the bike IMO. it made the bottom end feel like a 125. the fmf gnarly will give you great bottom end and mid-range but will fall flat up top. the fmf fatty will have a bit less power off the bottom than stock with a strong mid-range and good over rev. the pc platinum pipe is one my favorites giving strong bottom and mid-range power and similar to stock top end and over rev. the best pipe for the yz250 and lots of folks feel this way is the DEP pipe. more power everywhere.

As far as the stinger goes the shorty is loud as hell even with fresh packing. my bike came with one and i ditched it right away. honestly the stock silencer is the best for over all performance, sound and ease of re-pack. i am currently running the leo vince unit which looks amazing, is really quiet and performs like stock.

EDIT: wait a minute. are you riding a 125??

Edited by rodgini

I left my 01 yz 125 I left my pipe stock, AND made it look pretty. I used paint stripper to take the pant off it and a bunch of different sand papers from 320 to 2000 grit, then used some blue magic aluminum polish to shine it up, hasnt rusted yet, still looking pretty as can be.

I don't concur with the SST arguments.

But maybe I'm dumb (it's possible).

I have a SST, two stock pipes, a 06 stocker, and a PC pipe. I can run a stock, Shorty, or Q Stealth silencer.

2005 YZ 250, RB head with squish set, jetting spot on.

To me the SST feels like it smooths the power out everywhere. I'm not sure if it increased or decreased power (not enough to tell, at least like you can with new gearing or a new tire), but it makes the motor feel much smoother than the PC or stockers.

The stock pipe has a bit more "hit" to it, and maybe a bit more low end it feels like. In other words, the power curve feels a bit more erratic. The PC pipe feels like it pushed the power back a bit, and it revs out a bit longer.

I haven't tried the other FMF pipes, so maybe I do for comparison, but I actually like the SST and haven't had any issues with jetting. My carbon burns on my pistons have looked pretty dang stellar too.