Sign in to follow this  

YZ 125 Kick Start Shaft Questions?

Any of you guys aware of the kick start shaft snapping on any of the 05 and newer YZ 125's? I had this concern on my 07 YZ 250 which lead me to sell the bike, read quite a few horror stories about shafts snapping and busting the side case. I also read a few stories through random searches about some of the older YZ 125's snappin but couldn't seem to find anything about the newer bikes. I'm hoping and praying that since my 06 125 kicks over so easy that I won't have any issues with it. I took the screw out that holds the kicker to the shaft and noticed that the bolt is short and there is a space of air inside about 4 millimeters deep, a small hollow area. This caused some condern so I replaced it with a bolt that had around 3 more threads on it, I measured and that would only leave around a millimeter or so of empty space inside the shaft with this bolt in place. I'm hoping this will make the shaft a little more ridged and not subject to any kind of eventual weakening due to twisting and the pressure of each kick of the kickstart leaver.

Edited by ridemoto

Imo one can take his worries a bit too far. In the kicker issue it has a lot to do how you kick.

Some people never had any problem, others had 2 in a row. Try to short kick that might be the solution.

Yea, I'm an easy kicker, some guys kick super hard repeadily.

Edited by ridemoto