Sign in to follow this  

how to drain fork oil

what all is involved in draining the oil in my forks?just pulling the caps or do you have to mess with the rebound settings?

Basically if you have to ask it may be beyond what you want to get into. First off, what year and model, they are not all the same? For most, remove the fork legs from the motorcycle, run all the clickers to min, remove the fork caps. unscrew the damper rods from the caps, remove the springs, dump the oil, keep track of parts that fall out, replace the oil ,set the level with the forks collapsed, replace the springs, reassemble.

You will know when all the oil is out of the forks when they stop leaking all over the garage.

is a link to how to change your seals. It might not be your bike, but it will give you an idea of what is involved in changing oil and seal replacement.

Mr. C - The damper rod needs to "seat" in the fork cap. Then the jam nut is tightened, I'm sure there is a torque specification but I just assure it is firm. Maybe 20 to 30 ft lb

Mr. C - The damper rod needs to "seat" in the fork cap. Then the jam nut is tightened, I'm sure there is a torque specification but I just assure it is firm. Maybe 20 to 30 ft lb

Thanks. My new springs should be here this week, so I am trying to prepare!