Sign in to follow this  

1984 honda XL200 how to convert headlight to DC HELP!

I have a 1984 Honda XL200R. All the lights work fine. It has signals brake lights etc. However, the headlight turns off when the engine stops. I want the headlight to stay on even after the bike is off, the same as the brake and running lights. Looking at the wiring diagram the wires to the front headlight come from the alternator before they go they the AC regulator. So my question is, could i just disconnect those AC wires to the headlight and run DC power from my brake and running light circuits to power a DC headlight? or will this wear my battery down, or is it the same difference since i am giving up an AC headlight and changing to DC. I am also running 1157 led instead of standard, giving me an extra 27 watts. Ok Thumpertalk experts, my brother in law says you know the answer to everything so will this work?

Honda runs lights on AC to avoid the losses in a rectifier and to avoid dead batteries. So I don't know why you need to go to the expense of converting the headlight to DC.

The best way is to add a rectifier/regulator to the Alternator AC output and connect its outputs to the DC system, then connect the AC lighting circuit to the battery. There are other issues such as the capacity of the keyed switch to handle the headlight current, you may need to add a Bosch type relay. My estimate of cost is about a $100 excluding the need for a higher capacity battery and bigger battery box.

if you have a battery already, just wire a relay that switches your headlight from stator to battery. you would need a dpdt relay i think.

a spdt might work also, but the ac and dc will need to share the ground, which might already be the case. a headlight will drain a little motorcycle battery real quick tho.