Sign in to follow this  

Zip Ty Racing Axle Adjusters Problem

zipty.jpg

I have a CRF450X that came with these nifty Zip Ty axle adjusters, and they work pretty good! Except that one of the adjusters will not come out! It will screw all the way in, but only about a third of the way back out. It almost feels as though the bolt is bent on the end inside the swingarm. I hate trying to force anything (I have learned that lesson the hard way over the years) and currently I have a new chain and sprocket set on the bike, but eventually I will need to adjust the chain past this point... anybody have any suggestions?

Most likely what has happened is some corrosion on the threads that is making it hard to back them out. I've had this happen to me with this same setup and it can be a pain in the @$$.

What I did was to heating the area with a propane torch and loosening the adjuster nut all the way out, even if it meant using more force than I would like.

I then checked my swingarm for moisture, basically by continuing to heat that area of the swingarm until I heard boiling and/or saw steam coming from the adjuster hole. I knew water was getting in there as I had a ding in one side of the swingarm so after I was sure all the moisture was boiled off, I let it cool and filled the ding with epoxy.

I then cleaned up the threaded part of the swingarm with a tap and ran the adjuster threads under the wire wheel on my bench grinder to remove any residual corrosion or aluminum flecks. I applied a liberal amount of anti-sieze (grease would work as well) and re-installed.

This was just my experienece, your mileage may vary of course, good luck!

• Like 1