Getting back into bikes, need advice from Zuk owners...

Well, as many of you may remember, I had a 1998 RM250 that I converted to look like a 2001+. I wound up selling the bike back in October of 2010 and have regretted it ever since. Honestly, I loved that bike and it was in great shape, but.... you live you learn.

That being said, I'm currently looking for another bike. After having an RM250 before, that's my first choice. I've been looking for a 2004+ RM250 and have found a couple somewhat locally but haven't really found anything that I'm in love with. One 04 RM250 is already setup for woods and has been well cared for, but has got a significant amount of hours on it. I'm concerned about the overall number of hours on it - Based on the seller's info, it sounds like it's probably got ~400 hours total on it. Again, well cared for and lots of upgrades, but 400 hours on any bike sounds like a LOT. Opinions?

The other I've found is an '05 RM250, basically stock. Nothing wrong with it that I can tell (from the ad and talking to the owner), but after seeing the '04 already set up for woods riding (which I do most often), I'm torn. Both are $2000 US.

I've found TONS of 01-03 RM250s and _TONS_ of 01+ 125s - most for $1200-$1800, but in the RM250 world, I can't seem to find much else within a 200 miles radius of Knoxville, TN. Problem is, the longer I wait, the closer it gets to riding season - I'm worried that (a) prices may increase on what's out there (? the good ones are going to be ridden, not sold!

In my $2000 MAX price range, an RM250 is probably my first choice. I don't really know that I have a second choice. Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki - I don't really know much about them.......

I've found a couple '05 KX250s for $1700 & $2000 that seem nice. The $2000 one is VERY clean. Obviously most here probably are die hard Zuk riders, but can anyone actually give me any info/recommendations on the '05 KX250? Basically, from an OVERALL standpoint, are the '05 RM250 and KX250 comparable or is one a clearly better bike?

Any help would be great - I'd really like the perspective of some of you here, rather than on the Kawi side of things...

I would get the '04 RM250 that's already set up for woods, then play up the number of hours on the bike and then try to get enough off to cover the cost of a new top end. Buy it and rebuild the top end and ride it like you stole it!

And just for kicks, does he actually have an hour meter on it or is he just estimating them? ~ Estimations are normally way off ...

I would get the '04 RM250 that's already set up for woods, then play up the number of hours on the bike and then try to get enough off to cover the cost of a new top end. Buy it and rebuild the top end and ride it like you stole it!

And just for kicks, does he actually have an hour meter on it or is he just estimating them? ~ Estimations are normally way off ...

Estimating... He claims 2 hours every other week - I know he's owned it for 4 years. So, 2hrsx52weeksx4years... It just sounds like an absolute ton. I've seen vids of the bike being raced (not mx track) and many trail vids, so I believe the hours are up there... It's just a big gamble - Even well maintained, main bearings and such can't go forever... right?? I'm thinking all the main bearings, trans gears,etc... that many hours just sounds like a lot - I like everything about the bike except the amount of time that's on it - The top end was replaced in late summer/early fall (verified via forum posts from owner), so it's relatively frequent, although I'd probably just go ahead and do it anyway.

I really don't think the amount of hours on a machine is a big issue so long as it was maintained top notch. Things like main bearings should be replaced when doing a bottom end rebuild and at 400 hrs I'm sure its been rebuilt. I have seen bikes that are trashed after 50 hrs and others that look and run awesome with over 500 hrs. Really all depends on how it was taken care of. If the 2004 is already a woods bike that will save you a ton of cash from not having to modify the other bikes to get it the way you want it! Things like skid plates, bark busters, oversize tanks, etc. add up really fast!!! The zuk vs. kaw, yam, and honda is all preference... Honestly can't go wrong with any of them. Pic your favorite color! ?

+1 It's what you want and you're going to go over any bike you get. Less overall to invest to get it woods ready.

It would not bother me to ride an 05 KX250 two stroke, they are a beast of a bike. I love the RM handle-ing and its hard to compare anything else to the way it moves around the track or woods. As for a lot of hours, if the bike was taken care of by someone who really cared about presentation and performance, then I would want that bike. I just bought a 05 KX250F with about 50 hours on it (the frame and clutch look like new) the rest of the bike is a clapped out piece of crap. Its been Goon rode and left out side. So appearance of the bike tells me what kind of life it has had. Just jump on the bike that makes you smile when you first lay eyes on it.

I bought my 03 new, don't ride as much as I use to, (all short-shifting woods riding) and it had a main bearing let loose at 250 hours... If a 250 is ridden hard (MX) it's wise to check the lower end every other season. If easier on the motor (woods) maybe go 3 seasons (200 hrs.)

When I was faster, and racing a lot, I rode 125s a bunch... we went through the lower end every year, and usually did 2-3 top ends in that time. I think it's safe to take a 250 about twice that far.

just buy it and fix it when it's due.

Not what I would recommend. I waited too long to check the lower end. What could have just been mains, seals, a rebuilt crank, and rod kit, turned into a new top end and cylinder replate too because main bearing pieces traveled throughout the motor (an extra $350)

i love my 04 never had a problem with it always done regular maintence no tranny problems and it handles very well love how it corners....top ends are a breeze to do i like the lower to mid range power the RM has compared to any other bike.....most guys around this area ride yamahas and hondas not that impressed with them for two strokes......i owned a older KX at one time but idk anythng about 04+ on them