Sign in to follow this  

Opinions of '05 KX250?

I'm usually more of a Suzuki guy, but I'm looking at a couple '05 KX250s. Since I really know nothing about the KXs, I figured I'd ask you guys.

I'm curious how the '05 compares to the other (newer) years. Coming from the RM250 world, I know that 01-03 had the lesser liked KYB forks, whereas the '04+ had Showas. How about the '05 KX250? I'm just curious if there is any reason you would buy, or stay away from this year KX250?

Sorry for such a vague question... :smirk:

-Brian

Not sure if you're still looking at this particular model but Dirt Rider said it was the best amongst other smokers that year in their shootout. Secret on these bikes is that they like to turn very well, switch directions quickly, and have high speed stability too. :thumbsup:

We have one and love it. Easier to work on than ony other 250, and suspension is very good. There is only a slight mod required to make the rear shock excellent. An experienced suspension shop can do it. The rear shock stem needs to be cut down 4mm. If you you do get one and need this done, contact Joey Still at Pro Logics suspension. But even then the stock set up, once resprung for your weight, is great.

Other than that, you'll be very happy

Showas never came on the two stroke KX's. They were 48mm open chamber KYB's up until 05-07 when they got twin chamber KYB's. 05-07 are basically the same bike with minor tuning changes. I installed the Pro Circuit link on mine but I needed to lower the forks to get the turning back into the bike. If you don't mind a tall bike than you'll be fine stock. Just get the forks revalved.

The issue with the geometry of the bike is the ass end is very high. If you lower the rear only you will change the fork angle and the bike won't turn as good. I recommend the link or install a spacer.

The engine puts out loads of power stock, but with the 13/51 gearing it's hard to keep the rear planted. Try going to a 14t front sprocket or 49t rear.

do a search, lots of info here on the 05-07's from me and others.

Yeah as already said great bike (05-07) with lot's of power, only thing holding it back in stock form IMO is the harsh forks

• Like 1

Im contemplating going the same route, how bad are the forks stock on the 05 and newer bikes?