Sign in to follow this  

2010-12 RMZ450- what oil is the best, 10/40

Hi,

I am not a opposed to the Suzuki Performance 4 oil. I am just wondering what others are using and cost/ results.

I have one recommendation for Spectro Platinum 4 ( but it is 15.00 a bottle.)

Is it best for the engine to use a full or partial synthetic ?

It depends on the weather and how often/how hard you are on your bike. Motul makes really good oil from what I've experienced. I run 10/40 full synthetic during the colder months and 20/50 full synthetic during the summer months. And each bottle is around 10 bucks. Running full synthetic will give you more time in between oil changes but it costs a bit more. There are plenty of good oils out there. Hope that answers your question.

The best oil is new oil! Change often and the bike will be happy. Be sure to use a motorcycle (wet clutch) oil.

both the above answers are sound, Tailender has it right on the change it often principle. full synthetics have additives which can make them go longer between oil changes HOWEVER, you will be changing your oil every 5hrs of riding anyway (as per manual). throwinroost is correct about the weather and i like the weights he's using in them. personally i have been using a 10w 40 semi-synthetic from Silkolene (comp sx) in the winter and 15w 50 (SIlkolene comp4 or Motul 5100) in the summer. i find that semi synthetics give better feel on the clutch (dont slip as much) and the thicker weight oils improve shifting. whatever you oil choose, just make sure that its JASO MA/MA2 approved (Japanese standard for wet clutches)

Edited by funkinalive