Sign in to follow this  

XR600R Carb / Idle speed adjustment screw

I’m new here and yes, I did search a bit for this problem and it may have been covered, but I didn’t find it specifically.

The bike is a 2000 XR600 R

Symptom; rough low speed idle…..engine will die at idle (I did see this problem discussed in other threads but not specifically about what I found on my bike)

Runs great at off idle rpm’s

Did not work on carb prior to problem

What did I find….

Well, this has got me stumped. The idle speed adjustment screw, the one with the black knob you can turn while seated on the bike, it’s bottomed out. The spring is compressed completely and yet the end of the screw does not reach the throttle lever. The screw is not broken and the small pad on the throttle lever is there.

I thought it might be a cable problem although the throttle snaps back and sounds like it completely closes. I took off the carb and no different. Still about an 1/8” gap between the two with the spring completely compressed. Looking in the carb the slid appears to snap down completely. I’ve attached three pictures. The one of the compressed spring is a little dark where you’d see the 1/8” gap in better light. The other two show I what believe is the slide all the way down. I pulled the top off and the screw that attaches the lever to the arm that raises the slide was tight and intact.

What I’m I missing?

Thanks!!

swride

XR 600's

XR 250

XR 80

xr003.jpgxr002.jpgxr004.jpg

I'm not sure really..How long have you had the bike and has it always been like it is in the idle problem???.The screw that holds the arm that raises the slide may have possibly been flogged out so the previous owners possibly drilled another one in some other part of the arm ,,though quite why anyone would use a method like that to repair a stuffed thread has me stuffed. Is the fuelscrew in the bottom front of the carb in its hole and are all its bits intact??,,ie screw, spring, metal washer. rubber washer..maybe it's all fallen out or missing and someone's tried to run the thing without it,,though quite why that idle screw would be like that even with those bits or the fuel screw missing is beyond me..

Wonder if the part the cables attach to isn't somehow a complete revolution out and the screw which holds it to the slide arm isn't a complete revolution out,,How stiff is the throttle to turn when you use it??,,easy as per normal or semi stiff,,ie super tightish with masses of spring tension..My thinking is is it can only be something to do with the cable attachment arm and the screw that goes into the slide arm..Unscrew that screw and have a play around with things..Careful the bits don't all fall out or become separated or you may have trouble figuring out how they all go back together..and don't strip the screw getting it back in the hole,,fiddling with and turning the cable arm slightly when it's under spring tension is the key to getting it lined up properly for reinsertion..Also watch the plastic washer goes back on the correct side..cable arm side being correct.

What sort of choke plates on that bike??..if it's the stock one get rid of it and replace it with another aftermarket one before it disintegrates and destroys your engine

Edited by Horri

Check to make sure your pilot jet and or pilot jet circuit is not clogged or partially clogged.

I have seen this happen on two carbs in the past .. the clogged jet won't allow you to get enough fuel at idle and the idle screw will run out of travel.

And Welcome to TT..

Edited by jetfuel

Thanks guys,

I'll give it another close look this weekend. I'm the original owner and it's bone stock never messed with. The problem started over time...maybe a couple rides months apart....one solution would be to ride it more:)

Take spring off and try it. I believe it is there to put constant tension on the screw to keep it from vibrating out. Give that a try just to eliminate something in the double shooting aspect.

Also, if you are the original owner and it is stock, when did this start happeneing? Did it sit for a while? Did you try different gas? Did you loan it out? Have you had problems with the idle screw before? There should be, but sometimes hard to diagnose, an event that caused the change. It is just a matter of looking back at what you did to it finding the culprit.

Keep the info coming. I think we can figure this one out.

maybe the throttle cable pulley moved on the shaft. or the black knob on the screw moved up some how (maybe somebody could measure their idle screw). if not, then it would have to be the internal linkages . A quick fix would be to find something that fits over the threads to lengthen them, a threaded collar or something, so it hits the idle stop on the pulley.

Edited by zx12r