Sign in to follow this  

Plastic rebound knob adjuster replacement [HELP]

Got this bike a couple of weeks ago and this was the only problem, the replacement OEM knob is $4.99 online, but I'm not sure how to physically replace it. Can I get some help? If you're confused at what I'm saying, there is a plastic knob that is supposed to fit down into that hole in the middle, it broke off somehow and I need to replace it.

It's a stock fork from a 2002 KTM SX125 (WP 43mm forks).

nL7MH.jpg

SmsMQ.jpg

H9hI1.jpg

Your going to have to take the forks apart and here is a drawing HERE The part your missing is #1 and it goes into # 24 I'm pretty sure. When you get the forks it should be pretty easy to find.

Your going to have to take the forks apart and here is a drawing HERE The part your missing is #1 and it goes into # 24 I'm pretty sure. When you get the forks it should be pretty easy to find.

The fork is already apart (At least the cap is off). The OEM parts picture doesn't really help much though, in comparison to mine I see small differences as far as I can tell. That is for a 94' EXC, which I don't think runs the same fork as an 02 SX. Thanks for your time! :smirk:

Yes the 94 is a totally different setup, dint know how they come apart sorry

I've looked at it for a couple of hours now, there was a locking ring on the inside of the bottom of it, but as far as I can tell it isn't serving any related purpose. I'd like to have this fixed ASAP, so please post suggestions. Thanks!

Normally the ring comes out using a toothpick type tool

I've looked at it for a couple of hours now, there was a locking ring on the inside of the bottom of it, but as far as I can tell it isn't serving any related purpose. I'd like to have this fixed ASAP, so please post suggestions. Thanks!

Sorry must have hit a wrong button how about this one HERE

Edited by ktm450ds

Sorry its a 02 fork the post got me all confused, I have taken them apart, the middle part has 2 ball bearings and a spring, the part it goes into unscrews from the bottom, then it just pushes out I seem to remember?

First take a file and smooth the top of the cap where the knob goes.

Next from the bottom side of the cap start turning the black shaft inwards. As you turn it you will see that it can either extend farther out of the bottom of the cap or it can retract back into the cap. You want it to go up into the cap.

You will need to buy the knob, an o-ring that goes on the knob, the little spring and the two balls that go on each end of the spring.

Take some heavy grease on put the spring and two balls together. The grease will hold everything in place.

Carefully push the knob into the hole. The spring holds it all together.

That's assuming the bottom part already in the cap is ok. Usually it is.

Good luck and don't let those two little balls get away from you. They are tricky little rascals.

Edited by Layton

First take a file and smooth the top of the cap where the knob goes.

Next from the bottom side of the cap start turning the black shaft inwards. As you turn it you will see that it can either extend farther out of the bottom of the cap or it can retract back into the cap. You want it to go up into the cap.

You will need to buy the knob, an o-ring that goes on the knob, the little spring and the two balls that go on each end of the spring.

Take some heavy grease on put the spring and two balls together. The grease will hold everything in place.

Carefully push the knob into the hole. The spring holds it all together.

That's assuming the bottom part already in the cap is ok. Usually it is.

Good luck and don't let those two little balls get away from you. They are tricky little rascals.

Thanks, I appreciate it!