Sign in to follow this  

Introduction, new XR650L owner

Hello everyone,

Just a quick note to introduce myself.

After about a decade's absence from owning and riding bikes and with my kids finally old enough to look after themselves I finally took the plunge and bought a new-to-me low-mileage '95 XR650L. When I think back to all the bikes I've owned (about a dozen) the ones I had the most "smiles per mile" were the dually's. My first dually was a XT350, then a DR350; this time around I figured I would get something with longer legs so picked the XR650L; I don't think I'm going to be disappointed...

While I am a gearhead at heart and have a lot of experience with many bikes I know there is a lot to learn with the XR so please don't flame me if I ask an uber-noob question! I'm also looking forward to contributing where I can, forums are great places to spread the experience and knowledge around for everyone's benefit.

Speaking of questions...I'll start with an easy one - why are the XR's referred to as PIG's?

Cheers,

Daryl

Ajax, Ontario, Canada eh!

Congrats on the purchase. They are great bikes for their intended purpose. Just maintain and ride it. Will last a lifetime.

Just don't try to turn it into something it's not, you will spend tons of money and it will never get quite there.

Awesome bikes though!

Grats on the bike and welcome. In general the XRL is a pig for being overweight and underpowered. I'm not baggin on it though...I own one. It's more or less a fossil in this day and age but that was part of the bike's appeal for me when I got it. A dual sport isn't where I look to get my fix for bells n whistles...the big girls should be cheap and easy. :smirk: Get it set up the way you want without breaking the bank and take the advice above "don't try to turn it into something it's not"

It's a handful in sand or mud but she will pull through most any other terrain with authority. It's a GREAT bike for blasting around locally, kind of a go anywhere type deal. I actually love the thing on the road too so long as it doesn't involve too many miles at high speed. I've geared mine down so she runs hot at extended high speeds.

They are Big, they are Red, and they wallow in the dirt. Big Red Pig.

Took my XR650L with only the standard mods to Carolina Adventure World over the weekend. It was the only thing I saw in the woods with a license plate, but the PIG held her own. The only word others used to describe the PIGs performance was "impressive". I know it is not the best in any one class, but as a overall fun bike in a ton of different environments, there just ain't much better.