Sign in to follow this  

Tire pressure

There is a bunch of other posts on this, but how do you determine tire pressure?? There is some complicated formulas and theories, but there must be some simple guidlines. Tire sidewall says 44 psi but that is way too high for a supermoto KTM 450.

street i'll run right around 30psi F/R

the popular track temps i've seen (cold) are 20-22 psi F/R. i run right about that with good results i guess. can't say i have anything to complain about with those pressures.

i always run 18 psi front and rear with tubes. never had a problem with wear or anything. i liked it because the tires warmed up faster and contact patch was bigger.

What tires are we talking about? 44psi is probably the max, and no you dont want to run that high.

On the street i run 25-26psi. At the track i was running 20psi cold. Anything above this and i wasnt sticking. the downside is the tires wear out faster:)

There are some rules of thumb that have to deal with how much psi gain you get when your tires are up to temp. I was looking for about 130F on my rear tire and just over 100F on my front tire.

if measuring for the street, measure cold. if measuring for the track, i find it much easier to get consistently good tire wear by measuring the hot temps (ie- with warmers on or IMMEDIATELY after getting back to my pit). This eliminates some environmental variables.

wow, you guys run some low pressures at the track. I gotta try 20 at the track next time.

On 38 degrees or colder I run 19 front and 18 rear and 40 + temps I run 21 front 20 rear but on 70 + days I will run 23 front 22 rear. On the streets I ran 24 and if I knew I would be hitting some stairs that day I would run 28.

It also depends on what tires and compounds you are running :bonk:

• Like 1

Bringing this back from the dead....

I just bought some Excel/Talon wheels, Bridgestone S20 tires, and Bridgestone SM tubes and wanted to know what pressures would be good to ride on the street?

I'll just be commuting with some shenanigans thrown in every now and then. I ride with a buddy on a CBR600 café bike and we hit corners pretty hard, maybe I'll be able to keep up with him on the new setup.

Edited by MThompsonjr115

Bringing this back from the dead....

I just bought some Excel/Talon wheels, Bridgestone S20 tires, and Bridgestone SM tubes and wanted to know what pressures would be good to ride on the street?

I'll just be commuting with some shenanigans thrown in every now and then. I ride with a buddy on a CBR600 café bike and we hit corners pretty hard, maybe I'll be able to keep up with him on the new setup.

You really have to play around. For warm temps above 60f i would run 25psi on DOT supermoto tires. If it was cold out I would run higher pressures like 27psi.

I would start at 25psi front and rear and see how it feels. You really can't get and keep tires hot on the street like you can on the track which is why there is such a wide scattering of answers. Just like debi i find that my fronts on soft or super soft tires run about 18psi cold and 21psi or so warm.

• Like 1

Thanks Shift! I really appreciate the help.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll start at 25psi and feel it out, then make small changes, if needed.