Sign in to follow this  

150 crank life

Depends on the oil mixture, how clean the bottom end is (filtration) and how much abuse you give it. The crank itself isn't a problem, the crank bearings are the issue and I've seen them go bad pretty quick if abused. I had 150 hours on my 125 crank and everything was fine when I did the bottom end.

Edited by tye1138

I'm meticulous about maintenance but ride a lot. I'll put 150 hours on it in a year and don't want to split cases every year.

There ain't much maintenance you will be doing on a 2 stroke, I mean keep the air filter clean is pretty much it. But if your riding the bike hard and putting the hours on that you said, I mean the answer is yes, every 100 - 150 hours you should be doing the bottom end. That goes for any bike, 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

every 100 - 150 hours you should be doing the bottom end. That goes for any bike, 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

:smirk: You don't sell crank bearings for a living do you? Maybe I've just been lucky but after 30 years of riding and putting 300+ hrs on lost of different bikes, I've never done a bottom end. But seriously, that seems excessive on a larger bore 2t.

Yea, the smaller motors do tend to have issues with the main crank bearings.

Again, it completely depends on how you ride it. Give a 125 or 150 to a 15 year old A rider, they'll be burning through bottom ends like water.

My personal bikes, haven't been an issue. But I've worked on customers bikes which have been.

Edited by tye1138

I have over 100 hours on my 200 XC (same crank bearings). My top end shows no signs of wear yet through exhaust port. I will probably do my first top end between 150-200 hours. I expect to get at least 300-400 hours on my bottom end before I split the cases. I have seen a guy here that gets 600 hours on his bottom ends. He rides a lot.