Sign in to follow this  

Sprocket Change

I was going to go to a smaller rear sprocket on my cr. I was wanting to know if i should change both sprockets and the chain or if it would be fine to just go with changing the rear sprocket

Most people go with a larger rear sprocket, and/or a smaller front (countershaft) sprocket, unless they plan on riding on a lot of open ground ...

Anyhow, it depends how much time the components have spent together, their shared service life, so to speak ...

For example, if you put a chain and sprocket set on last year, and have taken it out numerous times and used the bike well, then it is not adviced to replace only one component, because they have all worn together/mated with each other. Also in case you don't know the age, it might be a good time to replace all three parts??

However, if you recently replaced the components, and only have a few hours on them, you can get away with swapping out the sprocket.

Take a close look at your chain and inspect it for wear in association with the rear sprocket.

Most people will advise you to spend $30-40 on a new front sprocket also, and chain ... but it really depends on what you decide to do and are comfortable doing.