Sign in to follow this  

Rear Axel Is Stuck?

So my tire is roached and I am trying to change it (not my first time either) and my rear axel is not coming out. I've lubed, tugged, and beat on it as much as I can (sounds wrong but you know what I mean). I dont want to do any damage to end of the axel, so I am at a lost for words. I need help, suggestions? If it helps, I ride a 2006 RMZ-450. I feel like a noob trying to change a tire so please refrain from the crap talk unless its funny. :smirk:

get a rubber mallet and batter the f@@k out of it, watch your threads, lift the wheel slightly or use something to raise the wheel by a couple of mill to take the weight off the axle

I would find the biggest metal sledge hammer and smack the poo out of it. Make sure you hit the threads multiple times. Hehe

Have you tried tapping it the other side with a rubber mallet or a small sledge or hammer if it safe to do so? Sometimes I have to work the axle back and forth a few times before it wants to release itself. Spray some lube on it and let it sit overnight before making another attempt.

Edited by 79yamdt

worked on a buddy's bike that did the same thing, had him hold a block of wood (end grain up against axel bolt) and i pounded the snot outta it with a sledge

dump that bitch on its side with a block under the swing arm neer the axle leaving enough room to get a wrench on it and turn it a bit every few wacks. use a hard surfaced driveway rather than the lawn... also leave the nut on untill the axle starts backing out,just un-screw it a bit untill its even with the end of the axle place a piece of 2x4 over it and use a 2LB hammer dont use purse or rubber mallet. chances are the bearing has spun on the axle and worn a grove on the axle a buddy rocking the wheel and turning the head of the axle while you hammer it should work,a couple extra 2x4 might be needed i like em about a foot long and smash them long ways. ps dont let girlfriend help (but if you do)when she gets mad and quits before your done the job be shur to tell her as shes leaving to stomp around a bit and maybe slam the door a few times for you as you miss your X GOOD LUCK WITH THAT AND LET US KNOW HOW IT ALL TURNS OUT FOR YOU oops one more thing back off the slack adjusters before hammering

• Like 1

Loosen the nut till it is flush with the end of the shaft as previously suggested then use a parallel punch that has the diameter of the inner bore of the shaft place a large washer over the punch to protect the nut and threads, put he punch pin into the hole ad give it a couple of sharp belts with the biggest hammer you can swing accurately.

lol 2x4 lives longer if the presure is spread over a larger area with the nut on so if possible leave the nut on but back it off untill its flush with the end of the axle untill the axle starts backing out.on some bikes the swing arm is loaded or sprung and the general rule is iff all the threds arnt engaged then remove the nut or you will strip something when your hammering

Added some lube overnight and she made me a happy man.. my bike that is.. haha. So yea there was a little groove that needed some good pounding. I used the 2x4 method and a 4lb sledge and she was still a little hard to get out. Bt its all worked out now and my tire is mounted. Thanks for the tips guys!

All may not be good if the axle was siezed to the inner wheel bearing races. If the axle was just hung up on the spacers then no big deal.

All may not be good if the axle was siezed to the inner wheel bearing races. If the axle was just hung up on the spacers then no big deal.

Yea it wasn't seized. It was getting hung up on the left spacer. I had to take my tire off again and it came out with ease.

each time my rear wheel comes off i make sure to clean the axle of any corrosion with a brush wheel or light sand paper and re-grease it with water proof bel-ray