Sign in to follow this  

140-80-18 fit 140-70-17SM rim?

I've got a 140-80-17 rear knobby from the KLR.

Anyone know if it will fit the stock SM rim. Tire on it now is the 140-70-17 Dunlop 208 66H.

I've got a 140-80-17 rear knobby from the KLR.

Anyone know if it will fit the stock SM rim. Tire on it now is the 140-70-17 Dunlop 208 66H.

is the size in the title of the post "18" or your post "17" correct? that last number is your rim size. if your tire is made for an 18" rim, then no, it will not work on a 17" rim. is the last number is "17" then most likely yes.

Title is in error, A KLR does use a 17" rim so yes the tire will fit. However, I would do a little research first. Look at your rim and read the width. 4.50 I think. Then go to a tire fitment website and verify a 140/80 - 17 tire is listed to fit the rim size you have. I think it will be OK.

Title is in error, A KLR does use a 17" rim so yes the tire will fit. However, I would do a little research first. Look at your rim and read the width. 4.50 I think. Then go to a tire fitment website and verify a 140/80 - 17 tire is listed to fit the rim size you have. I think it will be OK.

are SM wheels quite a bit more stringent when it comes to width of tires?

Rim width is critical to the selected tire. If memory serves, you're limited to a 130 or 140 tire width. I'd pick a 70 aspect ratio versus a 60.

It's going to be pretty flat. I just mounted the same tire on my sm and it was pretty rough through curves. Wanted to stand itself back up. The klr rim is 2.15" and the sm rim is 4.50". So it's proportionate on the klr. It has a round profile.