Sign in to follow this  

Quick FMF Q4 install question (pic)

I'm installing my new FMF on the OEM header for now, with plans to upgrade to a powerbomb in the distant future. After getting the stock muffler off I noticed that there is a large mid-pipe gasket of some kind that wont let the FMF slip all the way on. I see that the instructions say to remove the gasket, but after tapping on it with a screw driver, it wont budge. Before I get premature with the hammer/grinder, what is the recomened approach to removing the gasket?

20120215_174055.jpg

The gasket I am refering too is the shinny section about 1 1/2 inches from the end of the header pipe.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Memnok

Just for any future members that happen to search for the answer to this problem:

There is a small lip that is separate from the gasket.

20120215_213434.jpg

I was tapping on the lip, thinking the entire thing should come off. All ya gotta do is scrape everything up to where the lip is.

It never hurts to smear some orange hi-temp goop at that junction, but the hard part is waiting for it to set up a little because you want to fire it up and see how it sounds.

That is Hondas exhaust gasket made out of ??? It's weird stuff, soft, yet hard, with a wire mesh inside. My experience is that it's a one time deal, trying to remove it will destroy it. I find it's better to install the gasket on the header, then get the pipe over the gasket. Doing it the other way around (gasket in pipe, then slipping over header) results in the gasket getting torn up, if the mesh is exposed, the gasket is no good.

Not familliar with FMF pipes, on my XR pipe, I spent some time enlargening the flange so it would slip over the gasket. The gasket is needed even with aftermarket pipes, unless FMF has some sort of different design. Clamping the pipe to the flange behind the gasket is not a good seal.

Bottom line, the gasket looks like metal, it isn't, and is fragile, if you trash it, only replacement is OEM Honda.

Edited by Agent2

when I put the xr's only pipe on mine I had just ordered an oem gasket ahead of time - I ordered an om 600r sprocket too just to make the shipping worthwhile - the old gasket gets jacked up trying to retrieve it anyway so I pretty much think a new one is where it's at - thankfully I don't plan on replacing the pipe ever again...

I thought about selling the old one but I doubt anyone wants those anchors anyway, sounded like an old vw bug

I thought about selling the old one but I doubt anyone wants those anchors anyway, sounded like an old vw bug

which "old one" are you referring to? stock?