Buying a beat bike

I found an 00 XR 100 for 300 bucks that needs a carb cleaning supposedly and a new rear axle and a few misc bolts are missing so its not put together. Seat bolt and gas tank bolts etc. I wanna buy it and get it running maybe keep it or it sell it for profit. It doesnt run although. However he says with a carb cleaning it will. Im just afraid it may be blown up and I may loose money. A few months ago I bought a non running klx 125 for 200 then cleaned the carb and it ran great. I kept it as a pitbike and then just recently sold it for 700. I kinda miss it and want another one know and this seems like a great deal to have another pitbike or make some cash again. Is there anyway I can get screwed on this deal if its blown up. Their worth around 300 blown up right?

It sounds like to me you should have kept the good running KLX. You cannot consistently buy old beat up bikes, fix them, and make money...you will eventually get screwed. Rule #1 is to never trust anything anybody says when they are selling you a bike...unless you know them personally. Those bikes arent worth alot in good condition. My buddy just sold his sons very clean small wheel TTR125 (with almost brand new gear) for $750.

A while back, I bought an old RM125 that actually ran for $400...I had been out of riding a while and figured it would be a cheap way to test the waters. I got hooked on riding again and wanted a better bike, so I sold it for $750. I had about $1100 in it.

You could spray some starting fluid down the carb to see if it will start. If it starts, you may be able to feed it a little more fluid every few seconds and get it running long enough to evaluate the condition of the engine, ie any major leaks, burning oil, etc. I would probably save my money for a good running $600 bike with less risk.

Thanks for the reply. However I don't really think it would be possible to get screwed on a deal like this one. Even if the engine is toast I can probably part it out for more. 100 bucks for the front wheel, 100 for the rear, 100 for the frame, 100 for the cases, 50ish for the tank/plastics, 100 for the forks and 50 for the shock. However, it takes time to part out. I'm not able to look at the bike personally since it has to be bought tomorrow and I cant get there but my dad will and he can usually tell a bad bike from a good one. Although I would like to be there to check it out, and see if it even has any compression and make sure its not to badly beat.

It sounds like to me you should have kept the good running KLX. You cannot consistently buy old beat up bikes, fix them, and make money...you will eventually get screwed. Rule #1 is to never trust anything anybody says when they are selling you a bike...unless you know them personally. Those bikes arent worth alot in good condition. My buddy just sold his sons very clean small wheel TTR125 (with almost brand new gear) for $750. A while back, I bought an old RM125 that actually ran for $400...I had been out of riding a while and figured it would be a cheap way to test the waters. I got hooked on riding again and wanted a better bike, so I sold it for $750. I had about $1100 in it. You could spray some starting fluid down the carb to see if it will start. If it starts, you may be able to feed it a little more fluid every few seconds and get it running long enough to evaluate the condition of the engine, ie any major leaks, burning oil, etc. I would probably save my money for a good running $600 bike with less risk.

That is not always true. I have never lost any money on any beat up/blow up bikes I have purchased. It really depends on what your mechanical knowledge is and if you are good at getting good deals on parts and machining if neccessary.

Op

It sounds like to me that you answered your own question. Why did you bother to post this thread if you had already decided it was a good deal?

Charlie 755

There is inherent risk assumed when buying any used bike...especially a $300 one. If you believe you can consistently make money buying beat up bikes, fixing them, and selling them, you should start a side business doing so. I would venture to say that it would not be profitable in the long run...unless your labor is free.

Well you may have been right. I had my dad go check out the bike. Told him to make sure it had compression. He said it did. He bought it. Got it home and of course it had almost no compression. I can push down the kickstarter with my hand. I think its blown up. The guy told me it hadn't started in a while and the carb needed to be cleaned. Turns out after talking to the idiots brother he found out that the bike died while riding (supposedly from the dirty carburetor)and was towed back home by another bike with a shoestring which was still on the bike when I bought it. Idiot drained out the oil after that and let it sit for a few months. Then Mr amateur idiot mechanic tried to take the bike apart and lost a few parts including the axle, all of the bolts for the plastics , and the shifter. Put it halfway back together without the rear tire or any of the plastics. The sparkplug was only threaded on a 1/4 turn. Lesson learned don't buy a bike without checking it out in person first. Not sure what to do with it. Already cleaned the carb and it did nothing. Guess I'll try a new spark plug tomorrow and see if it does anything. Also the bike was missing the key ignition but he gave me a brand new one with it which I installed. Maybe I didnt install it right and its not getting spark so maybe that's why its not starting. On a side note funny thing when my dad got there he found a pill bottle filled with weed hidden in the bike. Some people are just so dumb..

i always bring a compression tester when looking at something used(especially if it doesnt run)........anyways take the spark plug out of the cylinder and leave it in the cap.... touch the electrode end to the cylinder and kick it with the key on to see if its getting spark........ that should tell you instantly. Just dont shock yourself lol

Edited by ZTownsend

Lesson learned! Sometimes it's just better to walk away. I bought a 99 YZ 125 for $300 bucks. I sunk $2200 into it. It just kept nickle and dimeing me. I sold it to my brother for $1400 and he sunk another $600 into. He rode it around for a couple weeks, hit a jump and the lower fork tubes literally fell out. The forks were completely fcked, the threads were stripped, cartridges were shattered. It was a mess. In short he just shoved the lower tubes back it filled them with oil and sold the bike for $1000. The kid knew what he was buying but didn't care, he was going to fix the forks. Lesson learned! I just don't buy crap anymore without really going over it!

Op

It sounds like to me that you answered your own question. Why did you bother to post this thread if you had already decided it was a good deal?

Charlie 755

There is inherent risk assumed when buying any used bike...especially a $300 one. If you believe you can consistently make money buying beat up bikes, fixing them, and selling them, you should start a side business doing so. I would venture to say that it would not be profitable in the long run...unless your labor is free.

You read my mind - get outta my head!

As mentioned, this was a good [cheap] lesson in motorcycle ownership. Dont waste any more of your money on this bike. Part it out on Ebay for whatever you can get...or possibly sell it on Craigslist advertised "as is" with no false promises. You may get back part or all of your money....you may not...thats the risk I was talking about. My advise would be to save your money and buy a running bike, as I said above.

I found out it's not getting spark and it seems to have compression after comparing it to another XR. I was so used to kicking my 250 it didn't seem to have any. So there's a chance it will run again. I don't really want to part it out because that takes so long. If I cant get it to run ill try and clean it up and put on CL as is for around 400.

Well here's the shitter I bought. Its only missing the rear axle and shifter. I have the tank seat, and shrouds which are surprisingly in good condition. And the number plates which are all scratched and beat up. The rear fender was painted white and has 2 holes in it about the size of a quarter.

downsized_0217121724-1.jpg

downsized_0217121724a.jpg