Sign in to follow this  

home stator rewind

i have a 1992 KX250. has anyone rewound their own stator with good results. i rewound them once already and it worked okay but i need thinner magnet wire to get the resistance i want. eventually ill probably break down and buy Ricky Stator. but im the kind of guy that if i can fix it myself i wont pay someone else to do it for me. just wanted to hear if anyone else has done this?

• Like 2

Answer: I haven't

A question though? What is the relationship between thinner wire and higher resistance as related to your desired power output?

Thanks

well the higher the resistance the more voltage you get. and with more voltage you get a more powerful spark which is ideal. the more wire you can wrap on your stator the better. and a thinner wire will allow for more wraps. only thing is i cant find any wire thin enough locally

My misunderstanding.

You said 'stator', I read 'lights', not spark.

Even saying it's a KX being worked on did not deter me from making up my own story 'bout what you're talkin' about!

SOME KXs have lights!!....

Isn't the KX spark 'box' a capacitive discharge setup? Probably. It is NOT a given that 'more' (in this case voltage) is better...or will even work...OR won't end up breaking something.

Given the number of problems I've read of with 'other than OEM' exciter coils (timing problems, mostly) you will be doing well to wind your own and have it work well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the 'splanation.

That link took me to a 'how-to' for winding a lighting coil, not an exciter coil.

??What am I misunderstanding this time?

The OP is asking about exciter coil rewinding (the potted coil in the pics in the above linked thread), NOT a lighting coil that makes power for lights and such...which is why he's looking for thinner wire.

Roger that?

i have that thread saved in my archives already lol. yes it is similar to the exciter coil but the KX has 2 exciter coils, one for low speed and one for high speed and one has to have more resistance than the other. the stock resistance of the smaller coil is 200 ohms, the wire i have can only give me 15-17 ohms. im gonna have to find some locally or ill just cave in and buy the ricky stator

Understood.

I didn't know your KX has TWO coils..but there's five wires coming out of the generator (on the fiche for that year)..so it certainly does NOT have just one! :bonk:

That's what I was after with my first quesiton. A lighting coil is generally wanting amps, not volts, so you use thicker wire, not thinner, and the resistance of the finished coil isn't an issue. Your answer told me exactly what you were looking for and why.

Newark has magnet wire down to 36awg. That's some teensy stuff. You need thinner'n THAT? Heck..one spool is 6400'...and ONLY $75! 36awg wire is .0050"!! I don't know if 'magnet wire' gauge includes the coating or not..probably not.

I have the link...but bbcode isn't apparently doesn't work here anymore. I might have just forGOTTEN how to do it? ....nah..... If that's true, I don't believe it! :lol:

A google search for 'transformer wire' will get you a sponsored Newark link.

the wire that was on there stock is .0050" i was hoping to find some thinner than that for an even better spark. but if i have to spend 75 bucks to get 10x more wire than i need ill just buy the ricky stator coils for 39.99 for the pair