Sign in to follow this  

Gear for new rider

Im just starting out (kinda late at 38) and will be riding local tracks and trails. Just wondering what gear is essential. Im a Harley rider so other than half helmets leather im not hip to the ways of protection. I know I need a decent helmet, boots and gloves. Should I invest right away in under armor for hips/tailbone? What is good for chest protectors? over jersey or under? I saw one of the online companies selling O'Neal package deals for about $260....these worth the money or better to buy piece by piece? Ill probably pick my helmet up this weekend. Im a firm believer in tryin those on. Ive been burned on street helmets before because manufacturers vary so much in size. Gonna try on some boots too.

Best thing is find some gear you like than read online the reviews about it from real people. Than search the larger online sites for the closeouts. Right is the right time, you will find complete gear sets (pants/shirt/gloves) from $75 to $100 on 2011 gear closeouts and it works just the same as the 2012 gear. It seems for around $300 you can get a couple sets of gear, chest protector, knee guards and a couple pairs of googles with sales right now.