Sign in to follow this  

Auto Decompression removal guide?

not certain what to use a dremel/grinder on, and how to get the small pin out. buying aftermarket cams soon, but I want take this off now.

springs is already gone. whats next?

from an old post, I need some pictures for guidance on this one:

"Grind off the parts behind the sprocket then split with a chisel. Then make sure you remove the alignment pin from the shaft (hole in the shaft). I do not trust the auto decompression and I remove it even if it is still working OK." --Noble, 2008

Edited by Davenjw

I do not have any pictures but i used a 4 or 5 inch cut off wheel held at an angle so i did not cut the cam spocket and carefully cut almost all the way through in 2 spots a small tap with a chisle and it popped right off... not as hard as i intended just a steady hand and commen sense. bike does turn over hard when cold make sure you have a strong battery.

I do not have any pictures but i used a 4 or 5 inch cut off wheel held at an angle so i did not cut the cam spocket and carefully cut almost all the way through in 2 spots a small tap with a chisle and it popped right off... not as hard as i intended just a steady hand and commen sense. bike does turn over hard when cold make sure you have a strong battery.

are you talking cutting the head of the rivet looking thing? by that I mean the pivot point of the arm? what about the rest of the pin and the small pin that falls out when they fail? does that part simply come off too?

Last one I removed, I just clamped the cam in a vise by the ends and used a crescent wrench to break the whole mess off the cam. No grinding, no chisel. Then lifted the alignment pin out, removed the large cross pin with the flat, and twisted the retaining ring off. You will see what I mean when you get there. Amazingly simple.