Sign in to follow this  

06' KX450F (wrist pin)

OK so i recently purchased a 06' KX450F and i've been reading about the wrist pin issue....so what would be the tell tsle signs of this pin going bad?..bike so far runs awesome! just wondering

Absolutely no tell tail signs at all. After 30hrs, you're on borrowed time. If you are lucky the piston crown will crack and so you lose compression and the motor gently shuts down. If you are unlucky then the pin snaps and the free rod end grenades the front half of your engine.

Edited by numroe
  • Like 1

Does your recently purchased '06 still have the original OEM piston? If so, its time to replace it. If the bike has an aftermarket forged piston, the problem has already been addressed.

Like Numroe says, there arent any warning signs.

My '06 ran awesome as well, but when I changed the piston as a precaution at 50 hrs, I was surprised at the amount of galling on the pin.

Do yourself and your bike a favour and replace it.

Yep piston and rings have been done on this bike so i hope it's been resolved!...this is my first KX 450F so i'm doing a ton of reading and learning so thanks fellas' for all your help to my newbe questions

Yep piston and rings have been done on this bike so i hope it's been resolved!..

That depends on what new parts went in there.

It's cheap and relatively easy. Just pop in a new aftermarket piston and breathe a little easier. Really not worth saving a couple hundred now and possibly spending a several hundreds later.