Sign in to follow this  

drz400e tail light all models. converted to stop lamp also, easy and cheap. please check it out.

This is to all the e model lovers out there and s model lovers to. I have an 01 z400s. didn't like the stock tail light/stop lamp it was big and ugly, So i purchaced the e models tail lamp cause of the low profile and the smaller fender extension. I really wanted the e models tail lamp got it cheap on ebay, only problem is there is no stop lamp. The big problem is the s model has 3 wires to the stock light and the e model tail lamp (led) has 2 wires and the conectors different.

So first things first. The s models 3 wire, 1st wire tanish brown color (power) 2nd wire white/black stripe (power) from brake switches. 3rd wire black (ground), cut the plug connector off. and strip the 3 wires so you can put your own connectors on, make shore to cut the (power) tanish brown wire about 2 inches shorter this will make room for the modification.

Then cut the new tail light plug off at the connector and strip wire also for your own connectors.

Go to your local radio shack and buy yourself heat shrink and 2
pair
of small gauge male and female wire connectors, then find a
pair
of male and female wie connectors that have a 2 into 1 connector kind of like a Y. if not get 3 sets of small gauge wire connectors and 2 small gauge straight connectors. (also this is the one thing thats a must for modification.)

Find in the resistor section, a 1watt or 2 watt resistor that is 270 ohm of resistance to 400 ohm resistance. there about 1 inch long. and will reduce the voltage on the tanish brown wire leg of the 3 wire on the s model going to the tail light that you cut about 2 inches shorter, put a male or female connector on the wire crimp it put the other male or female connector on the resistor.

I took the resistor and bent the wire on it in half to make it shorter and to fit tighter in the connector once crimped, connect Them together. connect the black ground wires together from both s models 3 wires going to tail light and the e models 2 wire tail light. Turn key on take an voltage meter dc voltage 12 volt. black lead put on both blacks put red lead on the other end of resistor thats connected to the tanish brown wire on the 3 wires comeing back to tail lamp. your voltage shoud of dropped down to anywhere from 13 volt to 2 or 3 volts in that wire. if you want lest voltage than that which you shouldn't cause (led) lights can run off low voltage anyway.

You can go with a bigger resistor if you desire like a 500 ohm 2 watt. Once checked you got the voltage drop. Slide heat srink over the resistor and connector of the 3 wires comeing back.

Now on the other end of resistor that has your dropped 2 or 3 volts that you got putting the resistor in take the white/black striped wire from the 3 wires on the s model which is the (power) wire from brake switches and take the resistor end of wire and white/black wire put them both in a male or female connector together and crimp it.

The tanish brown wire on e model tail light put other end of connector on and crimp it also. plug resister leg tanish brown wire and brake switch power wire thats put together in connector and plug it into the tanish brown wire of new e tail light. shrink your heat shrink to seal resistor. now you got a stop lamp also. cause the leg comeing back on s model has a resitor in it that is your running light/tail light which has a voltage of 2 or 3 volt which made the tail light dimmer so when you press on the brake pedal or pull the lever the 13 volt goes around the resistor and trigers the stop lamp which is now brighter.

Now remember the resistor builds heat up so the bigger the watt resister generates less heat so a 2 watt is better less heat than 1 watt. and the power comeing back from brake switches wont reverse feed in to the resistor cause it travels the path to ground which is the tail lamp.......

I've been running this set up for about 6 months now and the tail light and stop light are fine and the connectors and resistor is fine also. theres not enough heat generated in the rsistor to cause a fire under your butt on either 1 watt or 2 watt resistor.
Edited by theron26

OP,

That is one intimidating block of words you've got there. Please click edit and space that out, you will actually get people to read it.

Not trying to bash you, just a helpfull tip.

Only because I wanted to know &%$#@! the OP was trying to say...and its still not too clear to me :smirk:

This is to all the e model lovers out there and s model lovers to. I have an 01 z400s. didn't like the stock tail light/stop lamp it was big and ugly, So i purchaced the e models tail lamp cause of the low profile and the smaller fender extension. I really wanted the e models tail lamp got it cheap on ebay, only problem is there is no stop lamp. The big problem is the s model has 3 wires to the stock light and the e model tail lamp (led) has 2 wires and the conectors different.

So first things first. The s models 3 wire, 1st wire tanish brown color (power) 2nd wire white/black stripe (power) from brake switches. 3rd wire black (ground), cut the plug connector off. and strip the 3 wires so you can put your own connectors on, make shore to cut the (power) tanish brown wire about 2 inches shorter this will make room for the modification.

Then cut the new tail light plug off at the connector and strip wire also for your own connectors.

Go to your local radio shack and buy yourself heat shrink and 2 pair of small gauge male and female wire connectors, then find a pair of male and female wie connectors that have a 2 into 1 connector kind of like a Y. if not get 3 sets of small gauge wire connectors and 2 small gauge straight connectors. (also this is the one thing thats a must for modification.)

Find in the resistor section, a 1watt or 2 watt resistor that is 270 ohm of resistance to 400 ohm resistance. there about 1 inch long. and will reduce the voltage on the tanish brown wire leg of the 3 wire on the s model going to the tail light that you cut about 2 inches shorter, put a male or female connector on the wire crimp it put the other male or female connector on the resistor.

I took the resistor and bent the wire on it in half to make it shorter and to fit tighter in the connector once crimped, connect Them together. connect the black ground wires together from both s models 3 wires going to tail light and the e models 2 wire tail light. Turn key on take an voltage meter dc voltage 12 volt. black lead put on both blacks put red lead on the other end of resistor thats connected to the tanish brown wire on the 3 wires comeing back to tail lamp. your voltage shoud of dropped down to anywhere from 13 volt to 2 or 3 volts in that wire. if you want lest voltage than that which you shouldn't cause (led) lights can run off low voltage anyway.

you can go with a bigger resistor if you desire like a 500 ohm 2 watt. once checked you got the voltage drop. Slid heat srink over resistor and connector of the 3 wires comeing back.

Now on the other end of resistor that has your dropped 2 or 3 volts that you got putting the resistor in take the white/black striped wire from the 3 wires on the s model which is the (power) wire from brake switches and take the resistor end of wire and white/black wire put them both in a male or female connector together and crimp it.

the tanish brown wire on e model tail light put other end of connector on and crimp it also. plug resister leg tanish brown wire and brake switch power wire thats put together in connector and plug it into the tanish brown wire of new e tail light. shrink your heat shrink to seal resistor. now you got a stop lamp also. cause the leg comeing back on s model has a resitor in it that is your running light/tail light which has a voltage of 2 or 3 volt which made the tail light dimmer so when you press on the brake pedal or pull the lever the 13 volt goes around the resistor and trigers the stop lamp which is now brighter.

Now remember the resistor builds heat up so the bigger the watt resister generates less heat so a 2 watt is better less heat than 1 watt. and the power comeing back from brake switches wont reverse feed in to the resistor cause it travels the path to ground which is the tail lamp.......

I've been running this set up for about 6 months now and the tail light and stop light are fine and the connectors and resistor is fine also. theres not enough heat generated in the rsistor to cause a fire under your butt on either 1 watt or 2 watt resistor.

Edited by ROMAD

Theron26 - only 3 posts? I think you tried to catch up with this one. :smirk: Like the others said, slow down, punctuate, edit, break things up into complete sentences.

And, let the criticisms help, not discourage you from coming on back. You've got good info to share.

Oh, and welcome.

In a nut shell - The process is to add a resister to dim the LED array for a tail light, then bypass the resister to brighten the LED array for a brake light. Sounds like a dim tail light and a brake light with the intensity of a normal tail light. I would have to see this function to see how it looks.

In a nut shell - The process is to add a resister to dim the LED array for a tail light, then bypass the resister to brighten the LED array for a brake light. Sounds like a dim tail light and a brake light with the intensity of a normal tail light. I would have to see this function to see how it looks.

+1. add pictures to the first post.

I'm surprised 1 or 2 watt resistors are enough for the current of a brake light, even being LED. that would put your brake light only flowing .08 amps (assuming 12.5 volts) with a 1 watt resistor.

my exact understanding of resistors is not clear, but in short i believe forcing too much current threw a low watt resistor will cause early failure by asking it to dissipate too much heat.

Edited by Davenjw

The resisters are not for the brake light. The resisters turn the existing LED array into a low lumen tail light so the original non-resister circuit to the LED looks brighter for a brake light. A normal tail light is about 5 watts. I suspect a 1 watt resister is fine to power the LEDs.

The led light draws less than a watt at that voltage. Use your meters. It also takes alot of voltage to burn up a resistor like that there rated for higher voltage than what the bike delivers. Also power don't flow backwards through power only to ground. (path of least resistance). The higher watt resistor will be cooler but neither will be hot enough you can't touch. The wire will not burn up cause it still only has the 13 volts to the resistor, thats all the system will put out.

It was in paragragh when i was makeing post, but when i clicked to post it that's not what was on my screen. Sorry if you had a hard time reading it.

probably one of the oldest mods i can remember for a drz. brought to us by timcosco in like 2002. ive been doing the mod regualry since then.