Sign in to follow this  

Electric Start XR400 Just bought -

Hey all-

just bought a xr400 2000 model. Has been used (seems reasonably so time will tell) has an electric start from a ex400 quad and a kicker. Guy has had that on there for several years, seems bullet proof. I started it both ways yesterday. Kicked it cold, then ran the starter listening for any odd noises. None found! Any drawbacks to this setup I need to watch out for? My understanding is the guy got Honda parts and did it without some conversion kit so the splines for the kicker still fit. Also has a mikuni (sp?) carb which seems properly jetted, a clark 4 gal and pipe by fmf and some suspension work by an outfit called "Precision Concepts" who I haven't heard of. Will ride it this weekend and see then what was done.

Either I did something stoopid (buying this xr when I have a te510) or something lucky and smart from a reliability standpoint. Hopefully I didn't pay too much for a DR350SE with a kicker and a 400 kit ! icon10.gif Weight doesn't seem to be too bad. Figure I will take both bikes and let nature take it's course. One will be ridden more than the other, the other will go. I really like the air cooled and cheap parts aspect of the XR. Will soon be on this forum a lot! If anyone knows about these e-start conversions and what to watch out for I'd appreciate it.

THanks,

CB

_____

Congrats!!!! How much did you pay for that bad boy? Does it have skid plate / hand guards?

It has skid, hand guards, fmf q pipe, mikuni.. I think I paid too much (more than I was looking to spend) but around here decent xr400's are selling for around 22-2600. WIth the extras I paid a bit more than that. (was originally looking for an xr600 to augment my Husky but the reliability of the hondas may make the husky unnecessary - esp if the bike can handle the same speed ranges as the husky and no major reliability issues)

Kind of an experiment to see which gets ridden most. I ride a lot of deep desert miles and some slow mountain trails. I wanted an XR for its known reliability. Figured if there's a crash or major dust up I wouldn't have to worry about the radiators and just like the Husky, any electric glitches are solved by kick start. Just got lucky in the right place at the right time. If I have a bad get off and injure a foot or leg, I still have the button!

Bought it for safety's sake - at least that's the story I told the wife :smirk:

the only thing I would say is that the shift lever sticks out quite a ways with the estart kit to clear the left case cover. It sticks out like 1.5" further than stock. You are likely to catch that on something sometime. Get a spare and it needs to be the one for the EX400 to clear the case. I have my spare zip-tied to my frame just in case.

the only thing I would say is that the shift lever sticks out quite a ways with the estart kit to clear the left case cover. It sticks out like 1.5" further than stock. You are likely to catch that on something sometime. Get a spare and it needs to be the one for the EX400 to clear the case. I have my spare zip-tied to my frame just in case.

if thats the case, run a brake snake thru the tip of the shifter to lessen chance of damage/brush sticking

and some suspension work by an outfit called "Precision Concepts" who I haven't heard of.

THanks,

CB

_____

No worries. Precision Concepts is a major player in the suspension industry. I have no doubt if it's setup for your weight, it will be some good suspension.

No worries. Precision Concepts is a major player in the suspension industry. I have no doubt if it's setup for your weight, it will be some good suspension.

Yeah they haven't done much; only done suspension work for Baja 1000 winning bikes.

Thats true about PC suspenion.I have rode alot of bikes with there work.They did work well for go fast,but to trail ride I did not like.It is easy to make that susp work

Is it dual sported? No worries on the price, I paid $3k for my xr400 and it was just about bone stock(although it had very low miles and was kept in pristine condition) The bike will last you a lifetime :smirk:

I had a little time last night to read the docs that came with the book. The previous owners (s) had kept a binder of all the aftermarket stuff they attached and the directions to its install. The starter kit is something called "Joe Racer" seems well done, the kicker works fine, no noises unusual.

I do have a mikuni carb leak if unattended. Shutting off the gas stopped that, so make need to dig into that and check a float or such at some point. THis weekend is the shakedown cruise! Might be putting a husky up for sale..

Congrats Man! You just bought one of the best reliable bikes around. Post some Pics of the battery setup when you got time. I am looking into adding a starter to mine but I have mine dualsported.