Sign in to follow this  

Final questions before wheel tire purchase (2 sets) brakes? & sproket? <drz400s>

I need some final advice and direction for my 400s wheel and tire selection.

I'm going to keep two sets of wheels and tires. The original 21/18 and also purchase a set of 17".

My main confusion is coming from the rotor and the sproket.

(1st?) Since I want to make this as easy as possible I'm guessing I would need the same rotor on each set of wheels (is this correct?). So should I purchase another rotor just like the ones on my 400s for the front and the back of the new wheels?

(2nd?) I'm guessing I would need a different size sproket for the new set of wheels and a whole another chain. Any recommendations? Do I need another chain?

As far as wheel selection of the new 17". As long as I get the right width then it jsut comes down to styles and weight or are there many other factors. Just to check is the rear 4.25" or 4.5"? Also the front is 3.5"? Any tire recommendations for 90% street?

On the original sets i will be doing 90% trail and a 20 minute ride to get there (or trailer bike for longer trips). Any recommendations for tires on these?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Edited by GaDRZ400sMan

The simple solution to this is to buy the basic warp9 supermoto kit from motostrano. $1300, and your done, breaks, rotors, chain and sprockets and wheel spacers. Add some dot knobbies such as the dunlop d606 and your in business off road as well. I just went this route and love it.

I'm not an expert so don't take this as gospel.

I've just got a second set of wheels. 18/21 not 17/17. My wheels came with supermoto rotors - I guess the PO have a supermoto and wanted to do some dirt. You definitely need the same rotors on both sets of wheels. Make sure the wheels are going to fit - ie suitable for drz400sm. Spacers are an issue here.

WRT gearing/chains

Gearing - you need to work out what you want - the change in size will affect your rear gearing so you prob don't want the same size rear sprocket on your 18 and 17 rear wheels.

Chain - if you change this you need to change the front sprocket as well. I have a fairly new front sprocket and chain with little wear, so I haven't changed them. If yours are older then you need new sprockets for both wheels, new front sprocket and new chain, and make sure that onbe sprocket doesn't get more worn that the other. Otherwise have a complete set (front/rear sprocket and chain) which you change over.

NB your spedometer is going to be reading high (4/21 = 21%) because of the smaller front wheel.

So it would be ok to use the same chain as long as the front sproket is in good conditon? My bike has 1200 miles so it is probably still in good condition.

So it would be ok to use the same chain as long as the front sproket is in good conditon?

Some guys would say no, some say yes.

IMO there will be no issues using the same chain with different sprockets.

The warp 9 kit includes a simple bracket to space out the caliper to allow the larger rotor for the supermoto setup. Very simple to install

Thats cool that they give you the mounting braket but then I would have to either change the stock rotor to the same size as the new one or move the bracket everytime I switch...not sure which would be better or more realistic to do.

Edited by GaDRZ400sMan

Moving the bracket would maybe add 5 minutes to the swap if that, and the improved braking performance on the street is pretty worthwhile, and....... the big sm rotors look bad ass!

The OP is buying a set of 17's. He already has a dirt setup (400S).

1. You don't need a separate set of chains/sprockets for each wheel set, but they will last longer if you do this.

2. I'd suggest the Warp9 supermoto conversion kit as well (can be had from motostrano, epicmotosports, etc). At least then you wouldn't have to worry about wheel width... that'd be taken care of for you already.

3. I'd also suggest moving the front caliper relocator when installing the 17's. Very little install time, vastly better braking power. You will likely have to take the caliper off to install the front 17" wheel anyway,

Hello,

The SM front wheel is very easy to pull off and doesn't need caliper removal because there is only 1 disc :bonk: . Take off the axle nut, undo the 4 axle clamp bolts, and push the axle through with a stick. I went the route of buying S wheels for my SM as I'm more interested in being able to have the speedo work on my bike without having to install a new dash like you need to do with the warp9 wheels. I haven't sorted out the sprocket issue yet, I think you need to have the same size rear sprockets on each wheel and swap the front one with the wheels if you want to be able to romp around offroad with one set of wheels and hit the highway with the other. I don't think you can change the size of the rear sprocket much without having to change the chain length.

I just wish there was some sort of match making service on here for people to swap for the size of rotors they want for their second set of wheels. :smirk:

Cheers, Steve

Good point about the size of sprocket change - I'm going from 44 - with almost zero adjust on the chain adjustment plate to 41 - expecting to move out a little on the adjust plate.

In this case a slightly smaller wheel (1/18 = 5%) means decreasing by 2 teeth on the rear sprocket (assuming your running around 44) just to keep same gearing. I'd guess that should be OK - certainly it's what I'm doing.

WRT tires (here we go!) - I love my MT21 front ( 90/90)and Kenda 270 (4.5) rear combo for dirt.

For my new (to me) wheels I'm sticking with the deathwings (TW 41/42) as a 90% street setup (0% mud and deep sand), mainly because I got a newly new set for free :-)

Actual tire selection is an endless thread as there really are a number of very good tires out there.

As for the wheels, others (including me) have already done what you are thinking about doing. My bike is a '05 400s, and I've got a set of 17's off of a '05 SM for street work and a 21/18 setup with Dunlop D606's for dual sport runs. I use the 400s' brake setup and a 41T rear sprocket with the SM wheels and a 44T sprocket with the 18" dual sport wheel. I never messed with the stock 15T front sprocket and I use the same chain for both rears.

For the speedo I just went ahead and bought the SM drive gear for the SM wheels. So when I swap the wheels I've got both speedo drives (SM & S) so I'll always have the "correct" mph. But that might have to change as the speedo on a stock DRZ is a lying bastard. According to my GPS at 55 indicated miles per hour, I found that I'm really only doing barely 50 miles per hour. This might explain why I had been getting tailgated early in the spring.

So go ahead and get your SM wheels, you'll be fine.

Thanks for all the replies...

I'm might buy an extra front rotor the same size as the one on my 400s to mount to the 17" wheels so |I dont have to mess with the braket every time. I'll still get the bracket and the larger rotor and see which way I like better or makes more sense.

@zig06- Do you have to do alot of adjustment of chain tension when you switch from the 44t to the 41t?

I purchased the mrd/ssw exhaust system yesterday so i'm going to have to wait 2 or 3 weeks to get the street package.. In the mean time i'm thinking about going ahead and getting some off road tires for my 21/18. Will the dunlop 606 be ok for short 30 min street riding sessions (unitl i get the 17s) or would they be dangerous on the street (kind of like the stock tires are in the dirt)?

... @zig06- Do you have to do alot of adjustment of chain tension when you switch from the 44t to the 41t? ...

With the 44t I'm about 4 notches back from zero, with the 41t I'm a little beyond half way, so there's plenty of room.

I have a pair of S rotors for sale but would prefer to swap for SM rotors. Note that the rear rotor is smaller on the S as well.

If interested feel free to contact me, Steve

Thanks for all the replies...

I'm might buy an extra front rotor the same size as the one on my 400s to mount to the 17" wheels so |I dont have to mess with the braket every time. I'll still get the bracket and the larger rotor and see which way I like better or makes more sense.

@zig06- Do you have to do alot of adjustment of chain tension when you switch from the 44t to the 41t?

I purchased the mrd/ssw exhaust system yesterday so i'm going to have to wait 2 or 3 weeks to get the street package.. In the mean time i'm thinking about going ahead and getting some off road tires for my 21/18. Will the dunlop 606 be ok for short 30 min street riding sessions (unitl i get the 17s) or would they be dangerous on the street (kind of like the stock tires are in the dirt)?