Sign in to follow this  

ktm 200 exc head gasket question

I am rebuilding the top end on a 2003 ktm 200 exc. The head had 1 oring and a head gasket? I have the ktm parts book and it has 2 o rings for a head gasket? Why would this one have a gasket? For the larger o ring I would think there should be a groove for the o ring to sit in. The top of the clyinder is flat where the o ring should be.

Another question is how thick should the base gasket be? Everything I have read says measure the old one. how do you get an accurate measurement from a smashed gasket? Plus I would think that would change because of the gasket on the head?

THis is the 1st ktm I have had apart, any help would be great.

My 2000 200 had 1 oring and a gasket. The oring goes into the recess in the cylinder and the gasket goes on top. I think the oring seals the cylinder and the gasket seals the water jackets. If you read the manual it talks about the Z dimension, the distance from the top of the piston to the cylinder. This is adjusted by base gaskets. There are a multitude of topics on this. This is my first KTM also and it was weird to have different base gasket thicknesses also.

the older KTM's like the guy's before me did use an oring and a gasket. However I think 01 was the last year for that and yours did not use the gasket just two orings. Maybe you have the wrong kit but I think most kit's come made for both models meaning they have both orings and a gasket, you just use what you need.

The 02's had them also (o-ring+gasket) Yours may just be one they carried over. No performance difference.Just get a head gasket and o-ring and you're good to go.I've rebuilt several of these and they're solid.

I guess it could be possible for someone to put an older head and cylinder on it? I have the original parts book and I looked on the parts fisch and it is supposed to have 2 o rings. I guess I will have to order a gasket for an older ktm. thanks

I have seen the 2003 with either design, I have a 2002 and 2009 in front of me..

The X dimension is a tad different but a .4mm base gasket should work fairly well and give good bottom, You can measure the X dimension on the gasket style head motor.. you can go a few thousands tighter as it helps combustion and low speed response.