Debating on switching back to a 2 stroke

Sorta . . . I started off on a 2010 KTM 450 EXC, and after about 200 hours on it, bought a 2007 KTM 250 XCW about 2.5 months ago. I ride every weekend. So far I've had the 450 out once since buying the 2t. In hindsight, I should have got the smoker to begin with. So much lighter, just more fun to ride, and the maintainence is nothing compared to the 450. My .02 . . . do it . . . but be sure to get a battery tender for you 450 . . . you'll need it!!!

Honestly my favorite bike so far was my 06 450sx. I've dumped tons of money into this bike suspension wise and it still doesn't handle like my old one ? but before these two 450's i've always been a 2 stroke guy. love how flickable they are. just don't want to get romped on by my buddies who ride 450's and weigh less then me haha

The 450 has a lot more top end speed, but the 2t is much snappier and the power is just right there all the time when your in the powerband, also, my 250 with the stock gearing will really tractor up stuff even at slow speed without a bunch of clutch work. I wouldn't worry about the 450's romping on you, the 2t has plenty of power, it's just delivered differently. Only place I can see you missing the 450 is open, fast, desert type riding . . . anything tight or technical, I'd rather have the 2t . . . the 20-30 pound weight difference feels like 100 pounds. At the end of the day, the 2t is just a blast to ride, and even if your buddies have more top end speed, you'll have the bigger grin.

Edited by schmo

Honestly my favorite bike so far was my 06 450sx. I've dumped tons of money into this bike suspension wise and it still doesn't handle like my old one ? but before these two 450's i've always been a 2 stroke guy. love how flickable they are. just don't want to get romped on by my buddies who ride 450's and weigh less then me haha

What class do you ride? If it is't a CC class then pick up a 300XC, or buy a 250SX and install a 300SX cylinder. The those 450's will then be sucking your dust right off the gate.

I was a 2 stroke person for all of my teen years, and as an adult I migrated to 4 strokes. I've been on XR200's, XR250, XR280, KTM 400 EXC, TTR 125 LE set up for an adult, CRF230 with 46lbs of weight removed/ 11:1 comp/ Suspension/ etc, and now I'm back to a 2 stroke. I purchase a GasGas EC200 Six Days a couple of months ago, and I have zero regrets.

I'm about to have my first season on a 2012 KTM 150SX after riding a 2007 KX450 for the last few years. Powerful bike but it is a heavy pig and I was getting really fed up with the weight. I was on the fence between 250SX and 150SX and decided on the 150 because I have read over and over again about how perfect that bike is and how fun it is.

I have had 3 450's and now have a yz250 and a 300 exc (both 2 strokers) i wanted to pull around less wieght The only time the 450's cause any greif is on the Sand dunes and apart from that the yz rocks, the 300 loves dunes and imho is an awesome tractor 2 stroke ,smooth power which takes a little getting used to as the yz just snaps at you for more ....

P.S I must say if your planning the change its certainly not uncommon today like it was 2 or 3 years ago

Reagrds Dazza

I picked up a 2012 300 XC. 6 gears gives her plenty of top speed. With stock gearing I can lug that thing in the tightest nasty single track and still get right on the pipe when I need it. My 2008 450 XCF now is my reserve bike. So far the only time I have taken out the 450 was to clean the fouled carb from lack of use.

Get the 2 smoker buddy. I am really impressed with mine every time I ride.

I am in the same mind set as the rest of you. Thinking about the KTM 250SX or KTM 250XC. I rode the 2012 SX and that bike is very impressive. Kudo's to KTM for sticking to their guns for producing and updating the 2 stroke line. I would buy another brand but they all have pretty much abandoned 2 strokes and update nothing. YZ 250 has been BNGed since 2006. &%$#@!. I am having a hard time deciding what to buy but it is looking more like an Orange 2 smoker.

Edited by KX290F Pilot

My 11' 300xc is 86mph wfo with stock gearing. My 05'crf450 is in the high 70's with it's current gearing (forgot what it is...that bike sits a lot) Do I have the balls to go that fast on either bikes on anything but a nice graded fire road...NO!!!!! The fastest rider (when going all out) is the one who has the biggest balls and holds it open when everyone else is shutting off.

I finally found out about this. You are wrong stating that it gets 7 extra peek. That is not the case at all. The pipe silencer combo allows the bike to rev a little further and where the bike would usually drop to 43hp it wouls still be making 50. That is not a 57ho engine dude. lol... that = a little more overrev. Nice to have but it's only there for a fraction of a second and this is assuming you are driving around like a scolded cat revving this bike to the moon.

I'm wanting a 2012 250XC if the sixth gear is taller than 5th in my 2009 XC. The only thing in racing XC with my 250 is those open field or dirt road sections where the 450F's just ease by and you can't stop them. If I had a touch more top speed my 250XC would be perfect. Right now it's only 98% perfect. Sure never going back to a 450F again.

I finally found out about this. You are wrong stating that it gets 7 extra peek. That is not the case at all. The pipe silencer combo allows the bike to rev a little further and where the bike would usually drop to 43hp it wouls still be making 50. That is not a 57ho engine dude. lol... that = a little more overrev. Nice to have but it's only there for a fraction of a second and this is assuming you are driving around like a scolded cat revving this bike to the moon.

Motocross Action magazine, October issue, page 66. 50hp peak stock, 57hp peak with a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer.

I just did it. Bought a 2012 300 XCW after riding WR450s for years. My last WR450 is very well sorted, and I love the bike... but for tight single track, it's a heavy pig. I'm currently setting up the new smoker, can't wait to get back to that 2-stroke light weight.