Sign in to follow this  

Tire discussion

I want to know what tire you think has the most bang for your buck? I am willing to sacrifice a mild amount of performance in order to get a decent amount of durability with affordability, but I don't want a tire that will dissapoint me completely as far as performance. I mostly ride on a track that is intermediate type dirt with some hard stuff, but nothing . Im putting the tires on a bone stock yz250 2 stroke. Front and back tires. If you know of any tire sales on websites that would be appreciated

I had Dunlop MX-51's on my '06....hated the front. It would wash out if you looked at it the wrong way. Maybe they've fixed it (that was summer before last), but the reviews from the magazines didn't think much of the front, either, though rear was OK.

I switched to Bridgestone M403/M404 combo. Love them! Good wear (did a whole season on a set last summer), though I'm not a hard rider (too old for that), but I did ride 2-3 times a week all summer, so did a fair bit of mileage on 'em, primarily intermediate dirt. Still look pretty good for the start of this season.

Then again, tire threads are like religion. Everyone prays to a different deity it seems. Do some searches here on TT and you'll get enough opinions to turn your head. Opinions are like sphincters....everybody has one! LOL

Simple choice for me... MX51 rear, MX31 front. Perfect combo on the track for me!

If you want cheap tires that hold up well you should take a look at the Artrax combos $80-90 for a set is hard to beat! They dont perform quite as well as the Dunlops but they hold up just as good. Perfect practice tire for me, and I use them! Heres the link. You can get 2 sets for the price of what I pay for the Dunlops I use to race.

http://www.motosport...450F-TIRE-COMBO

Edited by BDubb106

It really depends on what terrain you ride on. Rock hard? Intermediate(Groomed with moisture)? Soft (Muddy)?Sand?

I think for general track use, an intermediate terrain tire will suffice. Stick with a 80/100-21 in the front on tracks that get deep ruts.

I have the MX51's on my bike, front and rear. I love the traction of the rear on intermediate tracks. I have a 90/100-21 on the front though, and its tough trying to stay in ruts with a wider front tire. Traction is pretty good outside of ruts though. I will say that, for the riding I do, I'll never get another 90wide front tire again.

Your right on the money with the wide front... The 90 is great on dry slick tracks, but anything that will break down the 90 is not the tire of choice.

+1 for the artrax tires if you are on a budget. I bought a set for my 250 as its just a budget beater play bike & so far I really like them. I haven't had them on that long so I don't know how they will hold up. I've always loved the dunlop 756 for the front & haven't found anything that comes close to it yet. On my 450 right now I have a bridgestone 403 on the front & its held up well but it doesn't hook up like I like it to. I'm not to picky about rear tires so I have a maxxis on the back of the 450 & it has lasted a long time. If your looking for something that lasts, you may want to look into maxxis tires.

I havnt really found a rear that hasnt held up well on the 450 when compared to the 250 smoker... the rear just doesnt spin like it does on the smokers, which means they last longer and dont chunk as often. I havnt tried many though, just the Maxxis that came on it, a Pirelli which I hated, and Dunlops.

Cool! I like the artrax option. and the track I ride at most is intermediate in the mornings and then wet at 1 oclock, and rock hard the next day lol.

I have had great luck with Michelin M12 up front, they seem to last quite while regardless of terrain. I love the Dunlop 756 rear but alas they are done but I have 1 left from the stash I bought last year. Pirelli Extra is another good rear I found.

So is there any deal-breakers with the artrax set? remember im a 16 year old bag boy making minimum wage and paying for car insurance and going to school lol. And I don't always race, but when I do im in the top 5 in 250C. Do they chunk really badly if i get the intermediate/hard terrain rear tire?

Im a top 5-7 B guy and havnt experienced any chunking with either of those tires out of the many Ive used. Im a fan of the MX PRO tire and the SX1, SX2 tire I like them all. All the rears have outlasted my Dunlops, although they are not quite as good traction wise from the get go. They are perfectly fine for practice or rec. riding though. I prefer to make my Dunlops last and only use them for race days and use the Artrax tires for everything else esp for the trails and loaner bike where they seem to get chewed up a little quicker due to rocks, roots and extreme hardpack stuff, but if I keep them on the track they def last just as long.

Edit: sorry the MX PRO is def my fav set! I meant to add that and forgot when I started rambling!

Edited by BDubb106

I want to go with the 120 width for the back tire and the 80 width for the front. How does that sound? cuz if i mess this up im gonna be forced to spend a few weekends bagging groceries haha. any reply would be appreciated

Im a top 5-7 B guy and havnt experienced any chunking with either of those tires out of the many Ive used. Im a fan of the MX PRO tire and the SX1, SX2 tire I like them all. All the rears have outlasted my Dunlops, although they are not quite as good traction wise from the get go. They are perfectly fine for practice or rec. riding though. I prefer to make my Dunlops last and only use them for race days and use the Artrax tires for everything else esp for the trails and loaner bike where they seem to get chewed up a little quicker due to rocks, roots and extreme hardpack stuff, but if I keep them on the track they def last just as long.

Edit: sorry the MX PRO is def my fav set! I meant to add that and forgot when I started rambling!

thank you, i want to go with the sx1 so far for the back tire. Is that a good idea? I like the sound of the 120 width rear paired with the 80 width front

MH3 is a great tire, great traction, but I thought it wore rather quickly... I like the SX1 I would go with the 110, I see no need for the 120 unless Im on the 450.

I am currently running a Geomax MX-51 front and Michelin MS3 rear on my 05 yz 125. I ride mostly sand and soft dirt where the mx-51 front works great, I really love it. As far as the rear goes the softer the better it works. I ride mostly woods and don't love the rear when Im riding that slick carolina mud or rooted out terrain. I'll be looking for a better rear tire next time. But I love the mx-51 on most conditions so far.

Have any of you guys tried the Michelin MH3?

Great tyre, I run either them or MX 31s on the front.

MH3 is a great tire, great traction, but I thought it wore rather quickly... I like the SX1 I would go with the 110, I see no need for the 120 unless Im on the 450.

My thought is that the 120 will wear slightly more gracefully than the 110. The only dealbreaker would be if it throws off the handling. I don't care if it makes the bike bog slightly as this means more traction and even less wear. Will it make the bike handle worse for motocross?

Im just trying to learn more and more lol, not trying to challenge your ideas, but I need to know why the stuff is the way it is, so i ask questions

I switched to the bridestone 404/403 combo at the end of 2011 and i wont look back. Best tires out IMO. The mx51 rear is good but i was blowing through them pretty quick