Sign in to follow this  

bring the joy back into riding you pitbike: lube the cables for cheap!

i have devised and easy and quick way to lube control cables and make the front brake, throttle, and clutch waYYYYYYYYYYY easier to pull. before i did this, my front brake barely worked, and my clutch was hard to pull in.

what youl need!

an air compressor, some lube(i like triflow) and some random tubing and rubber grommet like things to play around with and see what works (i used a spark plug boot, and some 1/2" poly tubing drip line).

optional: some sort of clamping device to hold our cable tool on.

i found a nice spark plug boot that has an 8mm hole for a wire, and had a nice taper on one end. this will be the adapter to go from the compressor to the cable. i cut the 90 degree bend off the boot, and cut a slit in the whole thing, so i can slip it over the cable.

DSC09199.jpg

then, i got a piece of half inch tubing about 2 to 3 inches long, and pressed it onto the "adapter" making sure that it seals on there real good.

DSC09200.jpg

then pour, or spray your favorite cable lube in there and blast it in the cable with some compressed air and watch dirt and grime come out the other side. once you see nice clean oil coming out the other end your good to go! make sure the stuff we just installed on the cable doesnt blow off into your face! lol. this is where you might want a clamping device like a hose clamp.

oh yea, make sure the air hose is actually connected to the compressor :smirk:

DSC09201.jpg

enjoy a super smooth clutch and brake!. this little tool will work on the throttle if you find a little rubber tube to slip over the cable so it will take up the extra space on the small cable. my brake cable was so dirty, that 40psi didnt want to go through it!

Edited by MCRIPPPer
  • Like 1

good point on the carb. thankfully the throttle cable is practically air tight, so you only need to lube it a few times a lifetime. :smirk:

also, lube up the pivots on the levers and throttle tube. i use chain lube on the lever pivots because i dont want to take them apart to get grease in there. chain lube works great. i used some triflow (imo, one of the best all purpose oils) on the handlebar to make the throttle nice and smooth.

yea give it a go. find a spark plug boot with a taper on it and it should work fine. i found a different plug boot that works even better then the one in the pic. and it works on both throttle and brake lines without need for a bushing to take up space.

try and find a silicone boot to use, it is better then standard rubber.