Sign in to follow this  

subframe straightening

Any of you guys ever have a subframed straightened out? Tried bike specific but aint noone done it apparently. Just wondering if its worth the trouble, is it ever straight or weakened by the bending? wondering if I should spend 50-60 to have it straightened or just buy a slightly used off ebay?

How bad is it? If it's just an inch or so its can be done easily enough. Just remove the fender and air box and wedge a 2x4 in there and crank away. That only works if it's bent sideways though.

My buddy had a bent subframe from casing a jump. He had his "straightened" but it still looks like sh!t. I'm not a hundred percent that it was a professional job or two retards with pry bar and a ruler (Make that one retard, I wasn't there). But buying used your still kinda risking buying someone elses catastrophe.

What would Sleepy do?

I'd recommend trying to bend it back if it isn't really badly bent and see what your results are after putting it back on the bike. If you get any cracks in the welds; toss it in a recycling bin.

To straighten properly, you want to apply force in the opposite direction of the force that bent the component. It will be weaker unless you heat treat it. However, in may cases, this is not required unless it gets bent the same a second time.

When I bent mine (Aluminum) I took off the silencer, laid the bike on it's side, and had a bunch of big guys bounce on it. Only 1 crack, and when I rebuilt the bike I took it down and had that spot rewelded for fairly cheap.

Straightened mine on my previous bike after it (and me) got run over by most of the pack in a first turn crash. Worked well enough. Surprisingly even got all my plastics to line back up pretty good. There were some really big gaps between the number plates and airbox after that crash.

Alumimum is a metal with a fatigue life and every time you bend it, it is going to get weaker. I would personally stick an axe handle in the right spot and bend it back close enough. Then just live with it, unless you can buy a new one.