Sign in to follow this  

YZ125 float bowl

What is the correct height for the float bowl on a 2004 YZ125, the manual states that you need a special tool to measure the height from the outside, but since I don't have the tool, does anybody know what to measure from the inside.

What is the correct height for the float bowl on a 2004 YZ125, the manual states that you need a special tool to measure the height from the outside, but since I don't have the tool, does anybody know what to measure from the inside.

I'm not sure there is a reliable way to measure from the inside, but you can easily make the "special tool" the manual uses as follows.

Go to Lowes and buy a rubber stopper that fits in the opening on the bottom of the carb bowl (they have them in the nuts and bolts isle), then buy a small brass hose barb and a 1 foot length of plastic hose (from the plumbing section) to fit over it (around 1/4" id should do).

Drill a hole through the rubber stopper, stick the barb in and connect the hose. Now you've got the "special tool". Now follow the direction in the manual and get the float perfectly set ;-)

this picture is from a rm125 manual cant remeber what year but it is a tmx38mm just like yamaha. this measurement is good as i confirmed on my yz125(08) with the tool yamaha wants you to use.

float%20height%20.JPG

Idea was to have you search for it not me.

I just had to search yz125 foat height and it was there.

Edited by qwert321

Nice. Did you actually use the Yamaha tool youself and do the comparison?

Not the tool but one I made with a drain plug and a tube(same thing)

One note though if you are going to be the +/- 1mm go 7.7mm not 9.7mm as 9.7mm means less fuel in bowl and I have experienced bogging on hard landings it went away when I was exactly 8.7mm or 7.7mm(more fuel in bowl so it won't slosh away from main).

actually found the method shown in picture to be more reliable as it is easy to get a false reading on special tool just by accidentally tipping carb a little/or moving tube up and down and allowing floats to open and give a reading of more fuel in bowl then what floats would let in when level.

Edited by qwert321